Jun 10, 2011, 10:10 AM EDT
If you are a betting man, Mike Woodson remains the smart place to put your money on becoming the next head coach of the Detroit Pistons. (Although, if you are actually betting on who will be the next coach of the Pistons, it may be time to seek some help.)
But now another name has moved to near the top of the coaches list — Kelvin Sampson. That according to the Detroit News.
Sampson is best known as a college coach, most recently out of Indiana where he was forced to resign due to recruiting violations. However, he comes out of the Gregg Popovich coaching tree in his work with the NBA.
He spent the last season as an assistant with the Milwaukee Bucks, where he essentially played good cop to Scott Skiles bad cop. Players like him. He’s a good communicator.
Woodson is considered a better fit because he is a little more of a disciplinarian (the Pistons locker room was a disaster last season) and because he took over a team in disarray in Atlanta and they got better every year he was there.
Likely one of these two men will replace John Kuester, who was let go once Tom Gores took control as the new owner of the team.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 62
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 71
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8