Jun 10, 2011, 10:10 AM EST
If you are a betting man, Mike Woodson remains the smart place to put your money on becoming the next head coach of the Detroit Pistons. (Although, if you are actually betting on who will be the next coach of the Pistons, it may be time to seek some help.)
But now another name has moved to near the top of the coaches list — Kelvin Sampson. That according to the Detroit News.
Sampson is best known as a college coach, most recently out of Indiana where he was forced to resign due to recruiting violations. However, he comes out of the Gregg Popovich coaching tree in his work with the NBA.
He spent the last season as an assistant with the Milwaukee Bucks, where he essentially played good cop to Scott Skiles bad cop. Players like him. He’s a good communicator.
Woodson is considered a better fit because he is a little more of a disciplinarian (the Pistons locker room was a disaster last season) and because he took over a team in disarray in Atlanta and they got better every year he was there.
Likely one of these two men will replace John Kuester, who was let go once Tom Gores took control as the new owner of the team.
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 0
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 12
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 24
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 5
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 7
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 3