Jun 10, 2011, 10:10 AM EST
If you are a betting man, Mike Woodson remains the smart place to put your money on becoming the next head coach of the Detroit Pistons. (Although, if you are actually betting on who will be the next coach of the Pistons, it may be time to seek some help.)
But now another name has moved to near the top of the coaches list — Kelvin Sampson. That according to the Detroit News.
Sampson is best known as a college coach, most recently out of Indiana where he was forced to resign due to recruiting violations. However, he comes out of the Gregg Popovich coaching tree in his work with the NBA.
He spent the last season as an assistant with the Milwaukee Bucks, where he essentially played good cop to Scott Skiles bad cop. Players like him. He’s a good communicator.
Woodson is considered a better fit because he is a little more of a disciplinarian (the Pistons locker room was a disaster last season) and because he took over a team in disarray in Atlanta and they got better every year he was there.
Likely one of these two men will replace John Kuester, who was let go once Tom Gores took control as the new owner of the team.
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 0
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 1
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 10
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 12
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 47
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 25
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 12