Jun 9, 2011, 8:43 AM EST
Turns out they were true. And he accepted.
The Serbian center started last season with the Thunder then was traded to the Celtics as part of the Kendrick Perkins deal. He was set to be a free agent July 1 but the Celtics had expressed interest in bringing him back for next season.
This may be the first case of a defection to Europe because of the pending lockout. Krstic would have been one of the free agents in limbo, waiting for a deal to be worked out before he could sign. And he was given a real second option, one of Europe’s best teams.
Krstic signing in Russia and the retirement of Shaquille O’Neal leaves Boston with just one center on the roster in Jermaine O’Neal. Finding another one will be a high priority for Danny Ainge this offseason.
- Report: D.J. Augustin reaches deal with Chicago Bulls 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Pacers win over Heat; Aldridge vs. Howard showdown 8
- Kidd says he is reading Frank’s “reports” as details of Nets coaching mess come public 12
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 9
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 16