Jun 9, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
Andrea Iguodala is being traded to the Clippers. Or the Warriors. Or the Magic. Or probably 26 other teams who have inquired about the services of one of the best perimeter defenders in the league.
There is an assumption that the Sixers are going to move Iggy. With that, any smart GM would at least call up and get a feel for what might be needed to make a deal work.
But the assumption that Philadelphia wants to move Iguodala may have one flaw — what if the new owner doesn’t want to?
We told you about reports that the Sixers may be sold from Flyers-loving Ed Snider to Joshua Harris, that talks are on going and things can happen soon. As Phil Sheridan said at the Philadelphia Inquirer, that raises a lot of questions.
Getting a new billionaire owner isn’t necessarily a magic solution to a sports franchise’s problems. Ask fans of the NFL team in Washington about that. We don’t know whether Joshua Harris is the next Daniel Snyder or James Dolan or whether he’d be another Mark Cuban or Arthur Blank. We don’t even know whether any of those examples would be the right sort to restore the Sixers to first-class citizenship….
One worry is that he’d see the team as merely another business to strip and flip, although there are NBA rules against downsizing the roster. Another worry is that the team would be just a toy, a vanity project for the 46-year-old Harris until he gets bored with it.
The best case, of course, is that he’s a competitive guy with a mean streak who will do whatever it takes to win a title. It looks as if we’ll find out.
The new owner and the new Collective Bargaining Agreement will have a lot of say about if and where Iguodala is moved. Which is to say, don’t expect anything to happen fast.
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 0
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 7
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 22
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 23
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 20