LeBron tweets sense of urgency, will he play with it?

Jun 9, 2011, 11:20 AM EDT

Miami Heat v Dallas Mavericks - Game Four Getty Images

LeBron James had a usage rate of 20.5 last game — meaning when he was on the floor 20.5 percent of the time a play ended with a James shot, turnover or trip to the free throw line.

That is his lowest number in any regular season or playoff game this past season. And according to Hoopdata, it is even lower than his usage rate in the legendary “collapse” game against Boston last season (in that game he still got to the line 12 times, it was just 4 times on Tuesday).

We all get it but we thought we’d just thought we’d emphasize it one more time — LeBron was passive in Game 4.

After that disaster in Boston he exploded in the next game. Heat fans hope to see that Thursday. What LeBron shows up is the big story of Game 5. This is the biggest game of LeBron’s life, he needs to be a major factor in the outcome.

He tweeted like he gets it:

Now or Never!!

He also sounded like he got it when speaking to the media Wednesday.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

We will see. LeBron has to not only be more aggressive — especially if guarded by Jason Kidd or Jason Terry — but has to recognize when the defense has shifted to focus on him and left teammates open. He has to continue to dominate on defense. He needs to have a great all around game.

If he does, the Heat will be a very difficult team to beat.

1. philtration - Jun 9, 2011 at 11:40 AM

This is LeBron’s problem in a nutshell.
    He is more interested in Tweeting and believing that the rest of the world is hanging on his every word instead of focusing on the NBA Finals.
    For LeBron the Finals is all just another tool to be used for promoting himself and this fictitious image that he so desperately wants.
    It is all about selling LeBron.

If you really want to win a title then stop acting like Tila Tequila.

• barkley4life - Jun 9, 2011 at 11:45 AM

really he acts like Tila Tequila….stupid.

2. barkley4life - Jun 9, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Lol using the Finals as a tool to market himself…doesn’t he half to get to the Finals to do that…doesn’t that mean you have to play hard win games etc to get there…so Gm 4 5 in Boston in Chi where he dropped more then 30 and clinched both games was the best player on the floor offensively and defensively he was more worried about marketing himself….

Man just be upfront say you don’t like that guy and stop hiding behind made up theories. I have no problem saying a guy is douche off the court. Lebron probably is…Kobe is I met him huge douche…but on the court hes a beast and that is all that matters.

Get off it already…he sucked in GM4 so won game throws the entire playoffs he has had away and the series isn’t over yet…haters find anything to bitch about.

• savocabol1 - Jun 9, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Not going to lie, it is pretty hard to read your post.

• barkley4life - Jun 9, 2011 at 12:07 PM

really because they make sense or because your jokes are awesome…

• savocabol1 - Jun 9, 2011 at 12:15 PM

* &

• barkley4life - Jun 9, 2011 at 12:18 PM

At least your upfront about being a Heat Hater…the rest hide behind being basketball “purists” or some other nonsense.

• savocabol1 - Jun 9, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Yea I have a legimate reason to hate on the Heat since I am a Cavs fan. My hatred comes from 98% Lebron and 2% jealous that we couldn’t put together a team like this. Enjoy it while it lasts.

• barkley4life - Jun 9, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Enjoy it while it lasts….if the Heat win the title this year it will be many more. I enjoy watching the Heat because watching Lebron Wade and Bosh is exciting basketball. Trust me I know about non exciting basketball because I am a Sixers fan. Point blank the hate at a 26 year old who acted like a prima donna douche is understandable to an extent but for the most part its so over the top its ridiculous.

Most of the commenters on here on 25 and under. They claim to seen Jordan(on youtube etc) but they didn’t grow up on Jordan. When Jordan was losing the Pistons, dropping 60 but losing to the Celtics…they were having the same arguments about Jordan then that we have about Lebron now(and that is the only Jordan Lebron comparison I will make to attempt otherwise is ridiculous).

To say a guy in the NBA finals is not focused when he carried the team in the last two rounds is ridiculous and theres is no argument to that. Suddenly hes not a closer but in Chicago and Boston series he closed both out.

Come on now.

• philtration - Jun 9, 2011 at 3:37 PM

I am 49 and have been watching the NBA all my life.
        I have seen great players from different eras and I have seen a lot of playoff and Finals basketball.
        I have been to many games at the Chicago Stadium and the United Center and have seen players like Jordan, Bird, Magic, Kobe, Shaq, and Duncan in person.
        I have seen LeBron play in person too.
        I am not swayed by media hype and I do not have the attention span of a Chihuahua with ADD.

I have no personal stock in LeBron James and I really don’t care but if LeBron does not have what these other players had and it is no ones fault but his own.
        No need to make excuses or apologize for him and no reason to act like anyone that does not love him is clueless or does not understand the man or the NBA

If you can’t handle the heat (no pun intended) then stop chasing the hot lights of the T.V. cameras.

• medtxpack - Jun 9, 2011 at 2:00 PM

“You don’t think MJ used the finals as a marketing tool…nah your right he didn’t use the Finals to promote his brand debut sneakers commercials etc….”

he didnt, he let his game do the marketing, it just so happened his game brought him there many times. find a new message board, your posts are incoherent and unwarranted. hate my grammar all ya want, Heat sucks.

• barkley4life - Jun 9, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Philtration, I have no problem with not liking Lebron etc. my problem is with the over the top hate and ridiculous comments people make ONLY after the fact. When he is closing out the Chi and Boston series and carrying the team where were these comments? They were few and far between, if you can’t give credit where it’s due it’s hypocritical nonsense.

I love the typical hate comment Lebron is this Lebron is that, ask them how did he get a Cavs team to the finals with a starting lineup of Big Z, Sasha Pavlovic, Drew Gooden, and Eric Snow there is no response.

His Finals has been lackluster to say the least but are you telling me that it erases the entire playoffs? If the Heat win the title he doesn’t have a huge role in it?

He has no excuses now he is finally surrounding by great teammates…if he chokes it out the label is fitting. It’s just hypocritical to me that in the Chicago series Derrick Rose was given the excuse he needs more help…while with the same flawed team Lebron had last year in the same circumstance it was all on him.

• almzor - Jun 10, 2011 at 10:06 AM

In the immortal words of Samuel L Jackson “English mother#*%@er, do you speak it?”

Half is a noun, not a verb.
      Up front (or up-front) is a two word entity, not one.
      He’s requires an apostrophe.
      Your is a possessive pronoun, not a verb.
      Won is a verb, not a number.

In addition to being grammatically atrocious, you’re also wrong. If you can’t understand the difference between what Jordan did and what LeBron’s been doing, then you are either not paying attention or dense.

3. savocabol1 - Jun 9, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I think the now or never is in reference to how much time Gloria and Delonte have left to get Lebron a little brother

4. barkley4life - Jun 9, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Guarantee the same people on here jumping on the pile were quiet as church mice during the Chicago and Boston series.(probably making excuses that D Rose doesn’t have help, Boston players are injured not a full strength etc etc)

Lmao Idiots…

• aboogy123456 - Jun 9, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I don’t think Lebron haters are thinking he’s a bad player…so what are you talking about here? Calling them idiots is dumb because you obviously don’t understand why people hate lebron. It’s not because he’s bad at basketball, he’s great but he’s just such an idiot with the media, cares too much about what people think, doesn’t have killer instinct, etc..

you and barkley are the idiots..

• barkley4life - Jun 9, 2011 at 12:37 PM

No I think your reading the comments wrong…we can agree to disagree(I agree Lebron is a douche) but on the court has nothing to do with off the court. Majority of arguments on his game in the contrary tend to stem from off the court crap. That’s where I disagree. You don’t think he is focused on the NBA FINALS because he is busy trying to market himself? Are you kidding me?

I hate Kobe(supreme douche IMO) but on the court I KNOW he is a monster and would never take off the court to influence what I see on the court.

Killer instinct is so overrated…its killer instinct when a player guns and wins…its selfishness when he guns and loses.

People hate on Lebron because on the court you can’t compare him to anyone. He’s Lebron…the MJ comparisons are ridiculous THEY HAVE ENTIRELY DIFFERENT GAMES!

If he cared what people thought…he would have stayed in Cleveland…its the same hypocritical approach to Dirk now…before this year he was a soft 7ft jump shooter that would not get over the hump. Now he is the greatest thing since sliced bread and people compare him to Larry Bird…are you fkn kidding me Larry Bird?

Please stop with the nonsense.

• almzor - Jun 9, 2011 at 6:54 PM

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I was watching the far more engrossing Dallas-Thunder series. The ECF were not an entertaining watch by comparison.

5. medtxpack - Jun 9, 2011 at 2:02 PM

“Please stop with the nonsense.”

Yes please quit posting barkley4life….

• barkley4life - Jun 9, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Why because you can’t engage in an argument with fact lol…saying Jordan didn’t use Finals to market himself shows you know Jack. Jordan used the playoffs and finals to debut his sneakers every year. Get a clue.

• philtration - Jun 9, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Michael Jordan did not proclaim himself “King” or the “Chosen One”
        No one had to force Michael Jordan down your throat including Jordan himself.

Most fans consider him the greatest player of all time because of what he did on the basketball court and how he did it.
        It was more than enough to make him an icon and he did not have created the aura.
        He did not need a posse around him 24/7 to lick his shoes or a marketing company to hype his legacy and he certainly did not need to leave Chicago to team up with Magic Johnson or Larry Bird to win a ring.

6. thetooloftools - Jun 9, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Mrs. Wade just needs to shut up and get the job done. Trust me… if things don’t go well he will have one excuse after the other. LeBron and Wade are not as “boyz” as people think… don’t kid yourself. But this was a marriage more then a merger as Wade is the Daddy.

• barkley4life - Jun 9, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Thank you for proving my point…IDIOT.

• thetooloftools - Jun 9, 2011 at 3:01 PM

get some help you retard.

• barkley4life - Jun 9, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Lol again thanks for my point youngster!

7. davidly - Jun 9, 2011 at 7:03 PM

I don’t know if anyone is watching the news right now, but it seems that LeBron’s twat was hacked and the King just took responsibility for his twat to avoid controversy. Who hacked his twat? A certain legend who goes by the name of Skibby MaRue!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches