LeBron says this is the biggest game of his career

Jun 9, 2011, 5:50 PM EST

LeBron James AP

This is the biggest game in LeBron James career. It may only be that way for a few days, but right now it is.

He gets it.

That’s what he said at shootaround Thursday when asked about his “now or never” tweet, as reported by NBA.com’s Hangtime blog.

“It was a personal message to myself,” James said after the Heat’s shootaround practice. “That’s just how I was feeling at that time, honestly. It was just a personal message to myself and had nothing to do with anyone else besides myself. I was just in a zone at that point … this is a big game, probably the biggest game of my life, well, not probably, it is. And I’m approaching it that way.”

For we basketball fans, we know the finals are not just about LeBron. They are about Dirk Nowitzki and the Heat trying to be a team and defense on the pick-and-roll. But for the casual fans, this series is about LeBron — love him or hate him, he is why people are tuning in. This series is seen as a validation of “The Decision,” whether that is fair or not, true or not.

With all that, put simply, this is the biggest game of LeBron’s career. He has been to only one other NBA finals and that one didn’t have a Game 5 because the Spurs swept the Cavaliers. So yes, this is the biggest game of his career.

Until Sunday’s Game 6. Then maybe next Tuesday’s Game 7.

1. purdueman - Jun 9, 2011 at 6:10 PM

What a big dummy! Coming off of his non-game last Tuesday, all he’s doing is setting himself up for a potential big fall by further raising expectations, which are already sky high as is.

2. eazye76 - Jun 9, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I wonder if the Mavs trash talking will include bringing up anyone who plays Forward for the Wizards.

3. savvybynature - Jun 9, 2011 at 7:08 PM

So it was a personal message only for himself, that he just happened to deliver to himself via one of the largest, most trafficked social media sites that’s accessible to the whole world?

I like LeBron but that makes no sense at all.

4. thetooloftools - Jun 9, 2011 at 7:12 PM

YAWN.
    Ok LeBron, whatever you say.
    “I will not quit till I bring a title to Cleveland”.
    Wipe your mouth LeBron, more B.S. is still seeping out you Akron ghetto punk.

5. captainwisdom8888 - Jun 9, 2011 at 7:14 PM

I can only imagine the reaction if he had said, “This is not the biggest game of my life.”

6. denverhoopdreams - Jun 9, 2011 at 7:47 PM

He’s going to choke just because he had to mention it.

7. randysavage4ever - Jun 9, 2011 at 8:18 PM

I’m not afraid – eminem…

8. philtration - Jun 9, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Look at that pic.
    What is going on with this guy’s head?
    The giant jaw and the weird bulging bone structure around his eyes…
    I really noticed it during the series with the Bulls and he is starting to take on a freakish appearance all of a sudden.

Better not compare it to Barry Bonds change in appearance or the Heat fans might get all hysterical.

• philtration - Jun 9, 2011 at 9:04 PM

By the way… I just wrote that as a personal message to myself and it just happened to make it to a public forum where anyone can read it.

• purdueman - Jun 9, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Ever go to a Science museum? Next time you do, check out the sketches anthropologists have made based on ancient skulls found of Neanderthal man!

• philtration - Jun 9, 2011 at 10:05 PM

He did not look like this before….

9. smoothaswilkes - Jun 9, 2011 at 9:30 PM

jinx

10. thesaint23 - Jun 9, 2011 at 11:59 PM

game 5 just over – Mavs win – lebum 2 pts in the 4th qtr – the queen choked again!

somewhere in los angeles coach brown must be smiling – somewhere in cleveland dan gilbert and the rest of lebum’s ex-cavs team mates must be smiling.

one has to wonder if lebum “the queen” james will invite his mother, delonte west, gilbert and his ex-cavs team mates to the LOSER’s party (lol)

poor devil is indeed the “choosen one” when it comes to choking and not showing up for the BIG games in the NBA finals.

heck even “the custodian” is having a decent finals series!

old George W. Bush would never choke in the clutch.

God Bless George W. Bush

• pl4tinum514 - Jun 10, 2011 at 9:36 AM

dan gilbert said he sent the ‘cleveland curse’ to miami with lebron… let’s see if he’s serious

• purdueman - Jun 11, 2011 at 6:30 PM

George Dubya has never worried about his wife cheating because he had his parents as role models growing up.

You know, when your Dad marries George Washington, the thought of your wife two timing you never even enters your mind!!!

11. thetooloftools - Jun 10, 2011 at 12:18 AM

- Hi.. this is Sarah Palin. Where can I park my bus?

• philtration - Jun 11, 2011 at 1:32 AM

In the handicapped space of course.

• purdueman - Jun 11, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Don’t be so hard on old Sarah; she can afterall, “see Russia from her back yard!!!”

• purdueman - Jun 11, 2011 at 1:38 AM

Funny, but every time Sarah Palin’s name is brought up, our koo-koo clock goes “koo-koo! koo-koo! koo-koo!!!”

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches