Jun 9, 2011, 5:50 PM EDT
This is the biggest game in LeBron James career. It may only be that way for a few days, but right now it is.
He gets it.
That’s what he said at shootaround Thursday when asked about his “now or never” tweet, as reported by NBA.com’s Hangtime blog.
“It was a personal message to myself,” James said after the Heat’s shootaround practice. “That’s just how I was feeling at that time, honestly. It was just a personal message to myself and had nothing to do with anyone else besides myself. I was just in a zone at that point … this is a big game, probably the biggest game of my life, well, not probably, it is. And I’m approaching it that way.”
For we basketball fans, we know the finals are not just about LeBron. They are about Dirk Nowitzki and the Heat trying to be a team and defense on the pick-and-roll. But for the casual fans, this series is about LeBron — love him or hate him, he is why people are tuning in. This series is seen as a validation of “The Decision,” whether that is fair or not, true or not.
With all that, put simply, this is the biggest game of LeBron’s career. He has been to only one other NBA finals and that one didn’t have a Game 5 because the Spurs swept the Cavaliers. So yes, this is the biggest game of his career.
Until Sunday’s Game 6. Then maybe next Tuesday’s Game 7.
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson 24
- Report: Vinny Del Negro to meet with Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling this weekend 3
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose 29
- George Hill injury jeopardizes Pacers’ identity 1
- Memphis Grizzlies have new anthem: “We Don’t Bluff” 8
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay