Jun 9, 2011, 5:50 PM EDT
This is the biggest game in LeBron James career. It may only be that way for a few days, but right now it is.
He gets it.
That’s what he said at shootaround Thursday when asked about his “now or never” tweet, as reported by NBA.com’s Hangtime blog.
“It was a personal message to myself,” James said after the Heat’s shootaround practice. “That’s just how I was feeling at that time, honestly. It was just a personal message to myself and had nothing to do with anyone else besides myself. I was just in a zone at that point … this is a big game, probably the biggest game of my life, well, not probably, it is. And I’m approaching it that way.”
For we basketball fans, we know the finals are not just about LeBron. They are about Dirk Nowitzki and the Heat trying to be a team and defense on the pick-and-roll. But for the casual fans, this series is about LeBron — love him or hate him, he is why people are tuning in. This series is seen as a validation of “The Decision,” whether that is fair or not, true or not.
With all that, put simply, this is the biggest game of LeBron’s career. He has been to only one other NBA finals and that one didn’t have a Game 5 because the Spurs swept the Cavaliers. So yes, this is the biggest game of his career.
Until Sunday’s Game 6. Then maybe next Tuesday’s Game 7.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5