Jun 9, 2011, 5:50 PM EST
This is the biggest game in LeBron James career. It may only be that way for a few days, but right now it is.
He gets it.
That’s what he said at shootaround Thursday when asked about his “now or never” tweet, as reported by NBA.com’s Hangtime blog.
“It was a personal message to myself,” James said after the Heat’s shootaround practice. “That’s just how I was feeling at that time, honestly. It was just a personal message to myself and had nothing to do with anyone else besides myself. I was just in a zone at that point … this is a big game, probably the biggest game of my life, well, not probably, it is. And I’m approaching it that way.”
For we basketball fans, we know the finals are not just about LeBron. They are about Dirk Nowitzki and the Heat trying to be a team and defense on the pick-and-roll. But for the casual fans, this series is about LeBron — love him or hate him, he is why people are tuning in. This series is seen as a validation of “The Decision,” whether that is fair or not, true or not.
With all that, put simply, this is the biggest game of LeBron’s career. He has been to only one other NBA finals and that one didn’t have a Game 5 because the Spurs swept the Cavaliers. So yes, this is the biggest game of his career.
Until Sunday’s Game 6. Then maybe next Tuesday’s Game 7.
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 0
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 9
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 8
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 23
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 14
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)