Jun 9, 2011, 7:49 PM EST
Brandon Haywood gave it his best in Game 4 of the NBA Finals after missing all of Game 3 with a hip injury, but he simply couldn’t make it work. The Mavericks were outscored by a whopping 10 points in Haywood’s three minutes on the floor in Game 4, and Rick Carlisle announced before Game 5 that Haywood will be on the inactive list.
The Mavericks survived Haywood’s absence in Game 4 by leaning heavily on their starters — the only other forward or center to come off the Maverick bench was Brian Cardinal, and he only played seven total minutes. Fortunately for the Mavericks, starting center Tyson Chandler was able to stay out of foul trouble all game long, and was able to give Rick Carlisle 43 minutes. The Mavericks are almost certainly hoping something similar occurs in Game 5; if Chandler gets fatigued or into foul trouble, they’ll have to rely on little-used Ian Mahinmi.
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 10
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 13
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 27
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15