Jun 9, 2011, 7:49 PM EDT
Brandon Haywood gave it his best in Game 4 of the NBA Finals after missing all of Game 3 with a hip injury, but he simply couldn’t make it work. The Mavericks were outscored by a whopping 10 points in Haywood’s three minutes on the floor in Game 4, and Rick Carlisle announced before Game 5 that Haywood will be on the inactive list.
The Mavericks survived Haywood’s absence in Game 4 by leaning heavily on their starters — the only other forward or center to come off the Maverick bench was Brian Cardinal, and he only played seven total minutes. Fortunately for the Mavericks, starting center Tyson Chandler was able to stay out of foul trouble all game long, and was able to give Rick Carlisle 43 minutes. The Mavericks are almost certainly hoping something similar occurs in Game 5; if Chandler gets fatigued or into foul trouble, they’ll have to rely on little-used Ian Mahinmi.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 54
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 17
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31