Jun 9, 2011, 7:49 PM EDT
Brandon Haywood gave it his best in Game 4 of the NBA Finals after missing all of Game 3 with a hip injury, but he simply couldn’t make it work. The Mavericks were outscored by a whopping 10 points in Haywood’s three minutes on the floor in Game 4, and Rick Carlisle announced before Game 5 that Haywood will be on the inactive list.
The Mavericks survived Haywood’s absence in Game 4 by leaning heavily on their starters — the only other forward or center to come off the Maverick bench was Brian Cardinal, and he only played seven total minutes. Fortunately for the Mavericks, starting center Tyson Chandler was able to stay out of foul trouble all game long, and was able to give Rick Carlisle 43 minutes. The Mavericks are almost certainly hoping something similar occurs in Game 5; if Chandler gets fatigued or into foul trouble, they’ll have to rely on little-used Ian Mahinmi.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 52