Jun 9, 2011, 7:49 PM EST
Brandon Haywood gave it his best in Game 4 of the NBA Finals after missing all of Game 3 with a hip injury, but he simply couldn’t make it work. The Mavericks were outscored by a whopping 10 points in Haywood’s three minutes on the floor in Game 4, and Rick Carlisle announced before Game 5 that Haywood will be on the inactive list.
The Mavericks survived Haywood’s absence in Game 4 by leaning heavily on their starters — the only other forward or center to come off the Maverick bench was Brian Cardinal, and he only played seven total minutes. Fortunately for the Mavericks, starting center Tyson Chandler was able to stay out of foul trouble all game long, and was able to give Rick Carlisle 43 minutes. The Mavericks are almost certainly hoping something similar occurs in Game 5; if Chandler gets fatigued or into foul trouble, they’ll have to rely on little-used Ian Mahinmi.
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 10
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14