Jun 9, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
The Miami Heat heard all that. LeBron heard all that.
Dwyane Wade told Dallas thank you for adding fuel to the fire under the best player walking the planet, as reported by Matt Moore over at CBSSports Eye on Basketball.
“(LeBron) doesn’t need it, but it adds fuel to the fire. We appreciate Dallas for that. Even if he had lost focus, he was going to get it back, but we appreciate the words that are coming out of their mouths….
“LeBron obviously wants to play better, but it’s not always about the scoring aspect. It’s just about playing better overall.”
The second part of that is key, and our Game 5 preview focuses on that. It can’t be LeBron being more aggressive by just dominating the ball and drawing all the defense then shooting over a triple team — he needs to attack but kick when the time is right, and he needs to work hard off the ball when Wade has it.
There’s a line at the end of the classic World War II movie “Tora! Tora! Tora!” where Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, who led the attack on Pearl Harbor, when congratulated on the attack, says, “I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.” (Yes, I know in real life he didn’t actually say that.)
Dallas may someday look back at all these comments the same way.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 46
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31