Jun 9, 2011, 2:20 PM EST
The Miami Heat heard all that. LeBron heard all that.
Dwyane Wade told Dallas thank you for adding fuel to the fire under the best player walking the planet, as reported by Matt Moore over at CBSSports Eye on Basketball.
“(LeBron) doesn’t need it, but it adds fuel to the fire. We appreciate Dallas for that. Even if he had lost focus, he was going to get it back, but we appreciate the words that are coming out of their mouths….
“LeBron obviously wants to play better, but it’s not always about the scoring aspect. It’s just about playing better overall.”
The second part of that is key, and our Game 5 preview focuses on that. It can’t be LeBron being more aggressive by just dominating the ball and drawing all the defense then shooting over a triple team — he needs to attack but kick when the time is right, and he needs to work hard off the ball when Wade has it.
There’s a line at the end of the classic World War II movie “Tora! Tora! Tora!” where Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, who led the attack on Pearl Harbor, when congratulated on the attack, says, “I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.” (Yes, I know in real life he didn’t actually say that.)
Dallas may someday look back at all these comments the same way.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 15
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)