Jun 8, 2011, 11:35 PM EST
You want to turn some scouts heads? Be the biggest man at the NBA draft combine.
That would be Nikola Vucevic — at 7’0”, 260, (with a standing reach of 9.5 feet and a 7’4” wingspan) the center out of USC caught everyone’s attention as the biggest guy at the draft combine. But he also turned heads because he is a dramatically more well rounded player than when he entered college three years ago, and that is the sign of a guy who can grow.
Vucevic has worked hard to develop a midrange game, and in some workouts with teams has reportedly looked strong with it. There are still questions about that shot, as there are his footwork and post moves, but in all those cases things have gotten better. Which gives scouts hope.
Vucevic has what you see with guys who can be solid backup centers in the NBA — not great athleticism but he has a nice faceup game that can provide some offense, plus the size to rebound and defend inside. He is not going to be creating his own shot but he can score some.
Vucevic has had some impressive workouts in recent weeks and with that and the combine has moved out of the second round and into the first. Late first, but first.
I saw a fair amount of his games at USC and he is not going to blow your doors off, he is not an explosive NBA athlete. The word that comes to mind with him is solid. Not explosive, but solid. What he can be at the NBA level is a quality backup center, a guy who can shoot a little from the outside and defend and rebound.
There is real late first-round value in that kind of player, particularly in this draft. There is a reason he is moving up a lot of boards. In the end, a quality back up center you can rely on is a valuable piece. Look for him to go in the 20s.
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 9
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 9
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 45
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17