Jun 8, 2011, 12:34 PM EDT
Klay Thompson can shoot the rock. As well or better than anybody else in the draft.
And in a draft where every player is a question mark, general managers will gravitate toward what they know works — and a guy that can shoot works in any system. Thompson was one of the best shooters at the NBA Draft Combine and has impressed in team workouts since then, according to multiple reports.
Golden State, with the No. 11 pick and guided in part by the great shooter that was Jerry West, is seriously considering taking Thompson, according to Tim Kawakami at the San Jose Mercury News.
That would be bad news for the Knicks at No. 17, because reports are they really liked him also. As have a number of other teams in the later lottery and teens. Teams that may be out of luck.
Like everyone in this draft Thompson has a lot of question marks. One is defensively. Tied to that is the fact he is not an impressive athlete at the NBA level, so there are questions of how well he could create his own shot.
But he can shoot, and at the end of the day the name of the game is getting the ball through the net.
And for a team like Golden State, which is considering a trade of its two guard Monta Ellis, bringing in someone like Thompson to help fill in that role makes a lot of sense.
But at the rate things are going, with Thompson even fall to No. 11?
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 10
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 10
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 24
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 16
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful