In Game 4, Jason Terry lived up to the talk

Jun 8, 2011, 1:54 PM EDT

NBA Finals Heat Mavericks Basketball AP

Jason Terry got singled out by Dirk Nowitzki after Game 3. Then Terry talked some smack, saying LeBron James couldn’t keep him down for seven games.

We all chuckled. But after Game 4, Terry is the one laughing.

Terry finished with 17 points, 8 of those coming in the fourth quarter. He attacked the rim off the pick-and-roll. He drained both key late free throws. He wasn’t terribly efficient (6-of-15 shooting, 1-of-4 from three) but in a game where nobody could seem to put the ball in the basket he didn’t need to be.

“The aggression was there for me personally,” Terry said. “And I like that that I was on the attack, which I said I would be.”

Terry attacked LeBron. His first shot in the fourth quarter he got the ball on the wing, went away from the Tyson Chandler screen (before it was really even set) and drove at LeBron to the right, got by him and made the layup. Next trip down on the other side he again attacked off the screen but this time when the help rotated over he weaved into the lane and hit an 10-foot jumper. Those two baskets started the Mavs comeback.

“(LeBron’s) length obviously is going to bother me if I shoot it in his face, it’s going to be contested,” Terry said. “So percentages on those shots are going to go down. But if I can get in the paint and draw the defense and then make the pass or make the shot, then that’s going to be advantageous for us. That’s something I looked to do tonight.”

Terry’s play late was key to the Dallas win. He lived up to what he said and what was expected of him in Game 4.

In Game 5, when we expect to see a more aggressive LeBron, can he do it again? Dallas needs it to happen if they are going to get a ring.

1. nfl25 - Jun 8, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Is there any chance the league fines players or some other penalty for flopping? It takes away from the game. I hate it when anyone on my team does it, obviously I hate it more when the opposing team does it. Not a mavs fan but watching the heat flop around is killing me. Its really just lebron and wade, but bosh and chalmers get into the act as well but not nearly as bad.

I think they should watch tape afterwards and fine people, I guarantee you people will stop. I don’t mean selling a foul a little, anyone watching the heat throughout the playoffs knows what I am talking about.

• purdueman - Jun 8, 2011 at 2:19 PM

The ridiculously high number of times Heat players have obviously flopped during the playoffs I think is likely coming on background coaching being done by greaser Riley. Riley of course has always fancied himself to be Hollywood, so who better to teach acting skills to Heat players?

Check this out from today’s papers:

Jeff Van Gundy calls out LeBron James for flopping

Shannon J. Owens
      9:53 p.m. CDT, June 7, 2011

LeBron James should be glad ABC/ESPN analyst Jeff Van Gundy doesn’t hold his fantasy NBA position “dean of discipline.” Otherwise, he would have gotten a hefty fine for his first-quarter flop against Brendan Haywood.

Van Gundy was clearly annoyed by what he deemed “acting” on James part during a play that landed Dallas Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle a technical foul when he challenged the referee’s call against Haywood.

“That’s the acting that [DeShawn] Stevenson was talking about,” Van Gundy said. “Listen, as a coach you have every right to voice your displeasure. Those types of plays to me are starting to make parts of our game a farce.”

Flopping, no doubt, has become a common problem in the NBA. But Van Gundy thinks he and his brother, Orlando Magic coach Stan Van Gundy, can help solve it. Jeff Van Gundy joked that NBA Commissioner David Stern could bring the brothers on as discipline consultants for the league.

“I want there to be a severe penalty so that every time I go back on the film as the dean of discipline and I watch ever play and possession, those flagrant acts of acting, I am hammering,” he said.

“It’s infuriating when you get a technical and you’re right.”

• slopmcflop - Jun 8, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I’m not a Heat fan, but I do feel the need to defend them at times from unwarranted criticism. A lot of hate for the Heat and individual players just because of the nature of the team.

That being said, no way I’m defending their flopping throughout the playoffs. It’s ugly, it’s stupid, and I hate it. Just hate seeing it in basketball in general. That, whatever the eff it was, Lebron pulled yesterday just confuses the crap out of me. Wade and Lebron are two of the best players in basketball, you don’t need to resort to theatrics to get results.

I completely agree that the league needs to start doing something about the flopping. It’s turning this sport into a joke, and don’t think the average fan hasn’t noticed.

• nfl25 - Jun 8, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Totally agree. I don’t hate on them and say they are chokers and the sux and all that. I think they are two of the best players in the game, which is why it makes no sense. Like you said, do they really need to do that? I can see a guy who has been in the league 14 years but doesn’t have really good natural talents, he needs to find a way to make things happen. But with all the talent in the world, why flop all game long. Wade hits the floor more than any player I have ever seen. Lebron always does the whole throw my head back in dramatic fashion.

I think wade is much better than people give him credit for. I been saying all week I cant believe people are comparing wade to pippen. Saying wade is lebrons pippen. Wade is a stud, he is sometimes unstoppable. And I am not a heat fan or a wade fan

2. nfl25 - Jun 8, 2011 at 2:26 PM

I think people hate lebron just a little too much. I agree the heat as a team are annoying but I feel like people really hate lebron with a passion. I think the fact that they flop constantly, celebrate constantly, whine constantly and are a dream team, is why America canst stand this team. The “decision” and that show they did didn’t help. Plus it just feels like they are entertainers not basketball players.

And anyone that wasn’t a heat fan last year should not be allowed to say stuff like, you are hating on us. You aint a fan, ur a d!$k rider

3. diablito0402 - Jun 8, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Thats todays league folks, thats why i say put wade and lechoke on jordans era with all the hand checking and elbows and clotheslines everytime you get in the paint, these guys wouldnt make it back then.

• purdueman - Jun 8, 2011 at 5:02 PM

diab… you make an excellent and rarely talked about point! All these people trying to compare Kobe or Le Bum to Jordan never of course bring up the fact that the ban on hand checking changed the game dramatically and makes it a LOT easier for offensive players to get points.

4. derek880 - Jun 8, 2011 at 5:34 PM

This whole flopping issue is pretty silly. How often in the playoffs have we seen Dirk get these phantom calls, yet you see Bosh or James fouled on the other end with no whistle? The criticism that the Heat have received has bordered on hypocrisy and ridiculousness. How often do we see Jason Terry celebrate after a shot. Wade does it and he’s overdoing it. Get real people…

• nfl25 - Jun 8, 2011 at 6:17 PM

come on man, ur letting the small percentage get to u of nut jobs that have lebron dolls at home and stick needles in the doll. i am not like that and i can see what wade and lebron do. can u honestly tell me that wade and lebron dont flop over and over again? dirk gets some calls, but he is selling contact. lebron and wade arent getting touched and they fly to the ground looking for the call.

i think those loose ball fouls against miami were bs the other day. but that was the first game all palyoffs that things went against miami. i think miami was getting all the calls in the playoffs but not in this series. its been pretty fair so far.

but what i hate about the finals this year is they dont show the replays. so i couldnt be sure those loos ball fouls were bad calls, dallas lost anyways. its like they wont show replays cuz we will critisize the refs. why do i wanna watch the guy shoot his first foul shot, show me the damn replay!

• derek880 - Jun 8, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Really dude? Dirk is “selling” contact? WTH does that really mean? Flopping and “selling” contact is a part of the game. It’s up to the refs to make the real legitimate calls. The problem is that Dirk is deemed so soft and precious that any contact with his skin results in a foul call. They loose-ball foul the other team early so they can get Dirk to the line. Seems like some of you can’t get the taste of Mark Cuban out of your mouths long enough to even think logically and fairly. Selling contact…Really?

• passerby23 - Jun 8, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Jason Terry doesn’t hold his hand up for 10 seconds in front of the other teams’ bench after making a shot, then get greeted by a teammate who fake punches him in front of the other team’s bench. It’s not celebrating that annoys people, it’s the way it’s done that is obnoxious.

I agree everything the Heat do is magnified 10 fold, but some of the criticism is fair. Bosh screaming after every dunk and beating his chest incessantly is ridiculous. Wade is a little more subtle, but after every made shot around the basket he seems to look into the crowd with the “Did you see what I just did?” look. To me, a lot of this stuff is over the top.

• nfl25 - Jun 8, 2011 at 8:53 PM

derek is it really that hard to understand? im a sixers fan, not a dallas fan and not a di$k riding heat fan

• nfl25 - Jun 8, 2011 at 8:59 PM

derek, the ultra soft dirk looks like a stone cold killer to me when he plays the heat. u got a dream team together, and all they do is whine and flop. and say anyone that dont like us is a hater. then u got that coach. i dont know how ur talking about dirk, u should take a look at ur team

its funny u get the dream team together and all the sudden every one is a heat fan

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches