Jun 7, 2011, 6:33 PM EST
ESPN.com’s Chris Broussard has the report, via twitter:
Isiah Thomas on Pistons’ list of coaching candidates, sources say. Not top candidate; on list w/Mike Woodson, Kelvin Sampson, Bill Laimbeer.
Thomas’ name has become synonymous with disaster since he retired as a player, but he wasn’t that bad of a coach when he didn’t have to coach rosters that he put together: Thomas had a record of .500 or better in all three of his seasons as the head coach of the Indiana Pacers, and made the playoffs each year.
Thomas is currently the coach of the FIU Golden Panthers, who went 11-19 last season. As one of the greatest, if not the greatest, players in Pistons history, Thomas could be a sentimental favorite for the head coaching spot. However, it will be hard to get anybody excited about Thomas’ return to the NBA in any sort of official capacity after the Knicks fiasco.
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 0
- Report: Knicks met with Phil Jackson about coaching them 21
- Extra Pass: Golden State Warriors defending at historically high level 4
- Thursday night NBA grades: Gerald Green just couldn’t seem to miss 6
- After rough shooting night LeBron says he’s “not a big fan” of sleeved jerseys 39