Jun 7, 2011, 6:33 PM EDT
ESPN.com’s Chris Broussard has the report, via twitter:
Isiah Thomas on Pistons’ list of coaching candidates, sources say. Not top candidate; on list w/Mike Woodson, Kelvin Sampson, Bill Laimbeer.
Thomas’ name has become synonymous with disaster since he retired as a player, but he wasn’t that bad of a coach when he didn’t have to coach rosters that he put together: Thomas had a record of .500 or better in all three of his seasons as the head coach of the Indiana Pacers, and made the playoffs each year.
Thomas is currently the coach of the FIU Golden Panthers, who went 11-19 last season. As one of the greatest, if not the greatest, players in Pistons history, Thomas could be a sentimental favorite for the head coaching spot. However, it will be hard to get anybody excited about Thomas’ return to the NBA in any sort of official capacity after the Knicks fiasco.
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 6
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 29
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 35