Jun 7, 2011, 6:33 PM EDT
ESPN.com’s Chris Broussard has the report, via twitter:
Isiah Thomas on Pistons’ list of coaching candidates, sources say. Not top candidate; on list w/Mike Woodson, Kelvin Sampson, Bill Laimbeer.
Thomas’ name has become synonymous with disaster since he retired as a player, but he wasn’t that bad of a coach when he didn’t have to coach rosters that he put together: Thomas had a record of .500 or better in all three of his seasons as the head coach of the Indiana Pacers, and made the playoffs each year.
Thomas is currently the coach of the FIU Golden Panthers, who went 11-19 last season. As one of the greatest, if not the greatest, players in Pistons history, Thomas could be a sentimental favorite for the head coaching spot. However, it will be hard to get anybody excited about Thomas’ return to the NBA in any sort of official capacity after the Knicks fiasco.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 0
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 5
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 11
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 9
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 45
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60