Jun 7, 2011, 6:33 PM EDT
ESPN.com’s Chris Broussard has the report, via twitter:
Isiah Thomas on Pistons’ list of coaching candidates, sources say. Not top candidate; on list w/Mike Woodson, Kelvin Sampson, Bill Laimbeer.
Thomas’ name has become synonymous with disaster since he retired as a player, but he wasn’t that bad of a coach when he didn’t have to coach rosters that he put together: Thomas had a record of .500 or better in all three of his seasons as the head coach of the Indiana Pacers, and made the playoffs each year.
Thomas is currently the coach of the FIU Golden Panthers, who went 11-19 last season. As one of the greatest, if not the greatest, players in Pistons history, Thomas could be a sentimental favorite for the head coaching spot. However, it will be hard to get anybody excited about Thomas’ return to the NBA in any sort of official capacity after the Knicks fiasco.
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 3
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 21
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 61
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 82
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5