Jun 7, 2011, 6:33 PM EST
ESPN.com’s Chris Broussard has the report, via twitter:
Isiah Thomas on Pistons’ list of coaching candidates, sources say. Not top candidate; on list w/Mike Woodson, Kelvin Sampson, Bill Laimbeer.
Thomas’ name has become synonymous with disaster since he retired as a player, but he wasn’t that bad of a coach when he didn’t have to coach rosters that he put together: Thomas had a record of .500 or better in all three of his seasons as the head coach of the Indiana Pacers, and made the playoffs each year.
Thomas is currently the coach of the FIU Golden Panthers, who went 11-19 last season. As one of the greatest, if not the greatest, players in Pistons history, Thomas could be a sentimental favorite for the head coaching spot. However, it will be hard to get anybody excited about Thomas’ return to the NBA in any sort of official capacity after the Knicks fiasco.
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 14
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 2
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8