Jun 7, 2011, 2:43 AM EST
Philadelphia and Golden State are two franchises looking to shake things up, and this trade would certainly do that.
They could be swapped straight up — Ellis has three years, $33 million left, Iguodala three years $42.3 million — but it wouldn’t be surprising to see other players added in.
This trade makes real sense on the court for Golden State, if they are willing to take on the extra salary. It solves the backcourt uncomfortableness that has been the marriage of Stephen Curry and Ellis. It gives the defensively challenged Warriors a guy who can board and is a quality perimeter defender. The Warriors still want to run and Iggy can finish in transition like a beast.
For Philadelphia, not sure I love the fit, but there is merit. They needed some backcourt scoring punch and someone who can create his own shot, and Ellis is one of the best at that in the league (24.1 points per game last season). But this would make the starting back court Jrue Holiday, Ellis and now Evan Turner — is that a good defensive lineup? It is a bit undersized in the physical East? Turner plays almost as a two, which makes me wonder how he fits with Ellis. But, Philly would save nearly $10 million over three years as part of this and would upgrade their tattoo quotient.
It’s a long way from happening, but of all the crazy rumors that will be flying about before the draft in a couple of weeks, this one makes some sense.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 7
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 35
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11