Jun 7, 2011, 8:47 PM EDT
This may mean something big next summer. It may mean nothing. But it is interesting.
Williams can opt out of his current deal in the summer of 2012, and the Nets have traded for him and made signing him the number one, two and three priority. He is the start to turn around the Nets fortunes, to open the new arena in Brooklyn, the guy owner Mikhail Prokhorov has pinned his franchise revival to.
A new agent may be just a guy Williams thinks can negotiate a better deal with the Nets. Or it may mean a guy he thinks is better connected, better suited to bringing other stars to New Jersey. Or Williams to other stars elsewhere.
Williams most likely has not even made up his mind about his future in New Jersey yet. But there is about to be a major new player at the table with the stakes being where Williams plays in a couple seasons.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4