Jun 7, 2011, 8:47 PM EST
This may mean something big next summer. It may mean nothing. But it is interesting.
Williams can opt out of his current deal in the summer of 2012, and the Nets have traded for him and made signing him the number one, two and three priority. He is the start to turn around the Nets fortunes, to open the new arena in Brooklyn, the guy owner Mikhail Prokhorov has pinned his franchise revival to.
A new agent may be just a guy Williams thinks can negotiate a better deal with the Nets. Or it may mean a guy he thinks is better connected, better suited to bringing other stars to New Jersey. Or Williams to other stars elsewhere.
Williams most likely has not even made up his mind about his future in New Jersey yet. But there is about to be a major new player at the table with the stakes being where Williams plays in a couple seasons.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 7
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 13
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30