Jun 7, 2011, 8:40 PM EST
Iman Shumpert won the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago.
He was maybe the physically gifted player in the class. He had a vertical leap of 42 inches, which was best this year and the only two people recently at the combine to do better were Vince Carter and Nate Robinson. Shumpert’s standing vertical was 36.5 inches (best since Nick Young four years ago). He had the third best bench press at the combine.
At 6’5” he stood out as the tallest and longest in the point guard class.
Tall and athletic will get you a long look from scouts.
But remember last year’s draft, when we said it was difficult to judge Derrick Favors and Gani Lawal out of Georgia Tech because the team’s guard play was so bad? That was Shumpert. This season Shumpert shot 40.6 percent overall and 27.8 percent from three, and his shot selection is poor. He’s a point guard with an unimpressive 1.5 to 1 assist to turnover ratio. That or you can convert him to a shooting guard, except he can’t really shoot from the outside. There are real questions about what kind of impact he can have at the NBA level where his athleticism is less of an advantage.
And that becomes the choice GMs have to make about this guy — what is his potential? All world athlete but right now not a great basketball player. Can you make him one?
And how big a risk are you willing to take on that potential? Both our own NBC Rotoworld Mock Draft and Chad Ford at ESPN have him going in the second round. Which makes sense, sign him to a minimum one-year deal, send him to the D-League and see if he can develop or not. But the trusted folks at DraftExpress have him going 22nd to Denver. They think somebody will be willing to take a real shot on potential late in an unimpressive first round.
He might be able to become a lock down defender at the next level, but his offense has got to improve dramatically to even get a real shot at that.
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 10
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 6
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 28
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 15
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 20
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)