Jun 7, 2011, 1:55 AM EDT
The Warriors’ hiring of Mark Jackson now makes slightly more sense. According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, former Cavaliers and Hornets defensive coordinator Michael Malone will be Mark Jackson’s lead assistant in Golden State. Mike Brown, who Malone coached under before, wanted Malone on his staff, but the Warriors’ new ownership would not be denied in their pursuit of Malone.
Like I said, this move makes a lot of sense for the Warriors. Golden State desperately needs a coach who can get them to play some defense, and Malone has been an assistant coach on a top defensive team for the past several seasons. Last year, he took the Hornets’ defense, which was below-average in the 09-10 season, and turned it into the 8th-best defense in the league. I still have some reservations about Golden State handing their head coaching job over to somebody with no coaching experience whatsoever, but the Malone hire does give them some of what they desperately need on their sidelines — experience and a knowledge of how an NBA defense is supposed to work.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 23
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 21
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1