Jun 7, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
Plenty of people are not sold on Mark Jackson, the new coach of the Golden State Warriors. Apparently the Warriors were not either.
Jackson was not the first choice, Matt Steinmetz reminds us at CSN Bay Area. When owner Joe Lacob and the Warriors started this search, experience was a key. Jackson has none. And while the Warriors had a long and at times contradictory list of things they wanted, just look at their first steps to see their real goals.
But we got a sense where their priorities were when they initially reached out to former Jazz coach Jerry Sloan and former Knicks and Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy. Both of those coaches had experience, a track record of success, a strong personality and a defense-first mentality.
Both Sloan and Van Gundy declined interviews with the Warriors, and so Mike Brown became their No. 1 focus. Brown didn’t have the resume’ history that Sloan and Van Gundy had, but Brown was no doubt the No. 1 available candidate on the market.
He was also said to be the Warriors’ front-runner before he ended up taking the Los Angeles Lakers head coaching job.
The market kept squeezing the Warriors, the coaches they wanted they could not get then Toronto and Detroit entered the market looking for coaches. The pool of available coaches was about to shrink more, so the Warriors went with the guy they liked best.
The reaction from fans and front office people has been to question the move, but tweets and comments from players have been very positive. And ultimately that is who Jackson has to impress. If he can reach the players and have good assistants help him through the rough patches, this could go better than many expect.
But this was not the direction the Warriors first wanted to go. This is a gamble.
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 0
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 17
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 14
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 38
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 25
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger