Jun 7, 2011, 5:15 PM EDT
Figuring what the heck, [Andrew Horn, executive director of Dreams For Kids DC] told Wall that his group was about to host 40 children with disabilities for a basketball game, and invited the point guard to join in.
“I don’t know if I can play, but I’ll definitely come and say what’s up,” Wall replied, and then went into the Wizards locker room to shower…
Horn figured that was that, and he went got ready for the clinic. [Ta'Shia] Phillips, the Mystics center, addressed the kids, giving them a motivational speech and telling them how they could all be pros for the day.
Not long after that, Wall showed up.
“Now they went from having an awesome practice in Verizon Center to literally hanging out with one of the best players in the league,” Horn told me. “It was awesome. It was unbelievable.”
Horn said the guard spent at least 30 or 45 minutes with the group, taking individual pictures with every kid, signing everything that was given to him and chatting with the parents, who were also excited…
…As for Horn, he went up to Wall as the star was leaving to give him a business card.
“He said he’ll definitely be in touch,” Horn recalled. “He thanked us for letting him come out. It was unbelievable.”
That is an unbelievable story, for all the best reasons, and I encourage you to click through and read the full piece. On the court, it’s obvious that Wall has the talent to be one of the league’s best players. Now it’s becoming apparent that Wall has the character to be one of the league’s best ambassadors off of it.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 27
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 34
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 13
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 43
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42