Jun 7, 2011, 5:15 PM EDT
Figuring what the heck, [Andrew Horn, executive director of Dreams For Kids DC] told Wall that his group was about to host 40 children with disabilities for a basketball game, and invited the point guard to join in.
“I don’t know if I can play, but I’ll definitely come and say what’s up,” Wall replied, and then went into the Wizards locker room to shower…
Horn figured that was that, and he went got ready for the clinic. [Ta'Shia] Phillips, the Mystics center, addressed the kids, giving them a motivational speech and telling them how they could all be pros for the day.
Not long after that, Wall showed up.
“Now they went from having an awesome practice in Verizon Center to literally hanging out with one of the best players in the league,” Horn told me. “It was awesome. It was unbelievable.”
Horn said the guard spent at least 30 or 45 minutes with the group, taking individual pictures with every kid, signing everything that was given to him and chatting with the parents, who were also excited…
…As for Horn, he went up to Wall as the star was leaving to give him a business card.
“He said he’ll definitely be in touch,” Horn recalled. “He thanked us for letting him come out. It was unbelievable.”
That is an unbelievable story, for all the best reasons, and I encourage you to click through and read the full piece. On the court, it’s obvious that Wall has the talent to be one of the league’s best players. Now it’s becoming apparent that Wall has the character to be one of the league’s best ambassadors off of it.
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 0
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 35
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 79
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 19
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48