Jun 7, 2011, 10:34 AM EDT
Apparently Mark Jackson just nailed his interview.
Which he kind of had to, because he has no coaching resume.
But Warriors consultant (and part owner) Jerry West sounded like a man very comfortable with the Warriors choice in an interview with Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News. That should not be a surprise — West is the ultimate team player and even if he did not like a decision would back it publicly. That’s who he is. But like we said, he sounds good with the decision.
(Jackson) had a tremendous connection with Joe (Lacob, Warriors owner). And he’s a very smart guy, he played in the league for 17 years, for a number of coaches. He’s a player who played in the league a long time in his head. And I think we all have had glowing reports from people who think he’s really good….
He and Joe seemed to really hit it off. I met with Mark myself down here and talked about if he were offered the job what did he need to do, boy he was really focused on what he had to be done.
I look back on Pat Riley, who to me is a pretty good example of somebody who just needed an opportunity, who had a terrific work ethic… I remember at the press conference when I said I’m going to Pat’s assistant, I thought Jerry Buss’ face was going to crack… I remember how awkward maybe that was… Turned out to be the right decision for the Lakers. I’ve watched Pat’s career, watch him today….
I do think he understands that the Warriors have to be better defensively. But he wants to play an aggressive game, he doesn’t want to play a slow-down game. Wants to play in a way that suits their talent.
West also threw a little cold water on the rumored trade of Monta Ellis for Andre Iguodala, saying he doesn’t “see anything like that happening.” He said the team is looking at the draft then will think about trades.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 6
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 43
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 19
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70