Jun 7, 2011, 10:34 AM EDT
Apparently Mark Jackson just nailed his interview.
Which he kind of had to, because he has no coaching resume.
But Warriors consultant (and part owner) Jerry West sounded like a man very comfortable with the Warriors choice in an interview with Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News. That should not be a surprise — West is the ultimate team player and even if he did not like a decision would back it publicly. That’s who he is. But like we said, he sounds good with the decision.
(Jackson) had a tremendous connection with Joe (Lacob, Warriors owner). And he’s a very smart guy, he played in the league for 17 years, for a number of coaches. He’s a player who played in the league a long time in his head. And I think we all have had glowing reports from people who think he’s really good….
He and Joe seemed to really hit it off. I met with Mark myself down here and talked about if he were offered the job what did he need to do, boy he was really focused on what he had to be done.
I look back on Pat Riley, who to me is a pretty good example of somebody who just needed an opportunity, who had a terrific work ethic… I remember at the press conference when I said I’m going to Pat’s assistant, I thought Jerry Buss’ face was going to crack… I remember how awkward maybe that was… Turned out to be the right decision for the Lakers. I’ve watched Pat’s career, watch him today….
I do think he understands that the Warriors have to be better defensively. But he wants to play an aggressive game, he doesn’t want to play a slow-down game. Wants to play in a way that suits their talent.
West also threw a little cold water on the rumored trade of Monta Ellis for Andre Iguodala, saying he doesn’t “see anything like that happening.” He said the team is looking at the draft then will think about trades.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6