Jun 6, 2011, 9:37 AM EDT
Miami has gotten in trouble this series when they have gone to LeBron James or Dwyane Wade in isolation. When it became hero ball as they tried to knock down the long jumper or drove headlong into the teeth of the defense. And in the biggest moment of the series you wondered if they may revert to that habit.
No, they ran maybe their best play, and it worked just as designed. Watch it below (in slow motion thanks to the people at NBA.com). Jason Kidd and Shawn Marion both go with Wade off the pick so he swings it to the roll man, LeBron, who is at the free throw line. But Tyson Chandler makes the right read (you don’t want LeBron wide open for a game winner) so he pressures him. LeBron makes a clever pass to Chris Bosh, Dirk Nowitzki is supposed to rotate out to him but Udonis Haslem slows Dirk with a little pin down screen and Bosh gets the open look. Ballgame.
It had been the first time all game the Heat had run the Wade/LeBron pick and roll. Wade came
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 0
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 42
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 17
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 34
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 22
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29