Jun 6, 2011, 8:06 PM EDT
It’s been true since day 1 of the season, and it’s still true through the Finals: a lot of people are tuning in to watch the Heat play basketball.
According to a press release distributed by ESPN and ABC, the Finals are averaging 15.3 million viewers through three games, which is the highest average number of viewers per game since Shaq, Kobe, Karl Malone, and Gary Payton fell to the Detroit Pistons in the 2004 Finals.
Considering that most of America still does not know who Dirk Nowitzki is, most of the credit for these huge ratings has to go to the Heat, who have been attracting eyeballs all year long. With a lockout looming, these huge ratings have to be seen as a good sign for people who want to see all 82 games played next season, whether they’re watching the Heat hoping to see them win or hoping to see them fall flat on their faces.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 17
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona