Jun 6, 2011, 10:02 AM EDT
If we just told you Ron Artest was going to have a reality show, you’d just nod. He’s the kind of offbeat personality that works for those shows.
Except, this isn’t “Khloe & Lamar Part II,” Artest’s new reality show that is in the works is not about him at all, according to TMZ.com.
Artest — who is no stranger to getting second chances — is helping mentor a group of parolees as part of a show called, “Last Second Shot.” Ron Ron will work with a team of mental health experts and life coaches to help the parolees take control of their lives.
We’re told the production company, 44 Blue Productions, hasn’t pitched the show to any networks yet … but they’re “very high on it.”
This is an extension of the work that won Artest the NBA’s citizenship award, his push to help take the stigma off of seeking mental health services. Artest has said this all stems from his work with a therapist, which he credits with helping turn his life around and helping to get him a championship.
44 Blue has had a lot of experience in reality and documentary television, having gotten a ton of stuff to air including current shows like “Family Court with Judge Penny” and “L.A. Gang Unit.” This sounds like it could be on your television pretty soon.
Mike Brown, welcome to coaching the Lakers. You thought you had distractions and guys with side projects in Cleveland, but it’s nothing like Los Angeles.
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28
- Tim Duncan on decision to opt in for final year of his contract: ‘There was some hesitation there’ 20