Jun 6, 2011, 3:41 PM EDT
It’s very early in the process of finding a new coach for the Detroit Pistons and although you know Joe Dumars has been thinking about this for a ling while there are a lot of twists and turn the road could still take.
But the first names out of the shoot will not thrill Pistons fans. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo has them.
The Detroit Pistons are considering several candidates to replace John Kuester as coach, including Milwaukee Bucks assistant Kelvin Sampson, former Atlanta Hawks coach Mike Woodson, Minnesota Timberwolves assistant Bill Laimbeer and television analyst Mark Jackson, league sources said.
Detroit wants to get back to playing good defense first. Is that a group who can do that?
Woodson had some success in Atlanta and the defenses got better there the longer he coached, but they never got above average. He ran a tedious, isolation heavy offense. (Although we learned this year when you asked those same players to pass the ball they were not good at it, so the Hawks had to go to back to more isolation in the playoffs.)
As for the rest of the guys? Well, Mark Jackson can coach “hands down, man” down really well, but aside that we don’t know a ton about what that group can accomplish.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30