Jun 6, 2011, 3:41 PM EDT
It’s very early in the process of finding a new coach for the Detroit Pistons and although you know Joe Dumars has been thinking about this for a ling while there are a lot of twists and turn the road could still take.
But the first names out of the shoot will not thrill Pistons fans. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo has them.
The Detroit Pistons are considering several candidates to replace John Kuester as coach, including Milwaukee Bucks assistant Kelvin Sampson, former Atlanta Hawks coach Mike Woodson, Minnesota Timberwolves assistant Bill Laimbeer and television analyst Mark Jackson, league sources said.
Detroit wants to get back to playing good defense first. Is that a group who can do that?
Woodson had some success in Atlanta and the defenses got better there the longer he coached, but they never got above average. He ran a tedious, isolation heavy offense. (Although we learned this year when you asked those same players to pass the ball they were not good at it, so the Hawks had to go to back to more isolation in the playoffs.)
As for the rest of the guys? Well, Mark Jackson can coach “hands down, man” down really well, but aside that we don’t know a ton about what that group can accomplish.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 7
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 24
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9