Jun 6, 2011, 12:26 PM EDT
It is known around the league that Minnesota will trade you the No. 2 overall pick if you are willing to send them a veteran big man in return.
Problem is, in this draft nobody really wants to give up a decent veteran big man for what they can get at No. 2.
If things do not change — a team falling in love with Enes Kanter or Minnesota dropping their demands — expect the Wolves to keep the pick and to draft Derrick Williams out of Arizona. Which stocks their front court and leads to this note from DraftExpress, doing a new mock draft for Yahoo.
It’s likely that Williams will be the one taken since he is the consensus second-best talent in this draft, according to NBA decision makers. If Minnesota keeps the pick and indeed selects Williams, sources say the Timberwolves will look to move Michael Beasley as they try to improve the “culture of the team.”
This makes sense. While Minnesota does not want to get younger right now, Williams is a talent upgrade over Beasley (he’ll be the better player in a couple years). Plus there are the locker room concerns, which Beasley is trying to shake but that still dog him. Beasley did show late in the season he could score, but was a high volume shooter to do it.
Minnesota won’t get a veteran big man for Beasley either, but they may get someone useful.
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 32
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 6
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 65
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 26
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 43
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 17
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19