Jun 6, 2011, 10:03 PM EDT
According to the ultra-reliable Marc Stein of ESPN.com, former Cleveland assistant coach and current New Orleans assistant coach Mike Malone was scheduled to meet with new Lakers head coach Mike Brown today. According to Stein, Brown also wants the recently fired Jon Kuester to join his staff as an assistant coach.
When the Cavaliers won 66 games in the 2008-09 season, Brown was the head coach, Kuester was the “offensive coordinator,” and Malone was known as the “defensive coordinator,” although Brown already had a reputation as a defensive wizard himself. The Cavalier offense improved by leaps and bounds in 08-09, and while that probably had more to do with new personnel around LeBron James than it did with Kuester’s offensive genius, the Cavaliers’ newfound offensive success was enough to get Kuester a head coaching job with the Detroit Pistons, which turned out to be an unmitigated disaster.
After Kuester left, Malone took over as the “offensive coordinator,” and while the Cavs regressed slightly as an offensive team, they were still one of the five best offensive teams in the league and won 61 games while resting their starters during the final games of the season.
After Byron Scott replaced Brown as the head coach of the Cavaliers, Malone went to New Orleans, where he took on the responsibility of improving the team’s defense. Under his watch, the Hornets went from being the 22nd-best defensive team in the league to the 8th-best defensive team in the league.
Clearly, Brown and his favorite assistants know how to coach, and the Lakers could do a lot worse than having a team of Kuester, Malone, and Brown on the sidelines, especially if Brian Shaw sticks around and/or international coaching star Ettore Messina is there as well.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 8
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29