Jun 6, 2011, 5:19 PM EDT
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Michael Jordan was up early Sunday in hopes of watching 12 players show why they should be one of the Charlotte Bobcats’ two first-round draft choices.
Injuries, though, made the large pre-draft workout less interesting and revealing.
Alec Burks of Colorado, a candidate for the ninth pick by the Jordan-owned Bobcats, and Marshon Brooks of Providence, a possibility for Charlotte at No. 19, couldn’t compete because of recent injuries. The Bobcats said Burks dislocated his shoulder working out for Milwaukee on Saturday and Brooks twisted an ankle Friday auditioning for New York.
“A couple guys stubbed their toes so we couldn’t go 3-on-3,” said coach Paul Silas, who was hopeful both players could return to audition before the June 23 draft.
Even though Burks and Brooks weren’t able to make the Bobcats workout, Charlotte was still able to get a good look at players such as Kawhi Leonard, Tyler Honeycutt, and Klay Thompson, all of whom could help Charlotte improve its abysmal long-range shooting or fill the athleticism gap created when the team traded Gerald Wallace at the deadline.
And it does look like Charlotte will get a look at Burks before they have to make a draft selection — according to Marc Spears of Yahoo! Sports, an MRI on Burks’ left shoulder was negative, and he will work out for the Detroit Pistons against Kemba Walker on Wednesday.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 10
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 17
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 13
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP