Jun 6, 2011, 7:19 PM EDT
The Mavericks may be facing a 2-1 series deficit to the Miami Heat, but that isn’t stopping Mavericks guard DeShawn Stevenson from offering up some choice words on how he thinks the Heat play the game. ESPN Dallas’ Art Garcia has the story:
“They’re great actors and they sell it,” Stevenson said Monday afternoon. “That’s what they’re supposed to do.”
We’ve got to take hard fouls,” Stevenson said, “but if you touch them they’re so dramatic you might get a flagrant 2.”
Stevenson added that a hard foul could lead to not just a flagrant foul, but a suspension. Wade is averaging 29 points in the series, with James scoring 20.3.
“It just makes it tough,” Stevenson continued. “They put a lot of pressure on us. If you do one little thing it’s going to be magnified to a big ordeal. I think when they go up and do the dunks, if you take a hard foul, the outcome is going to be pretty bad.”
Although James has been known to sell contact at times during these playoffs and Wade’s on-court exchanges with officials are almost constant, it’s hard to blame Dallas’ 2-1 deficit on unfavorable whistles. The Mavericks have shot significantly more free throws than the Heat through the first three games of the finals, and loose-ball fouls on Dirk Nowitzki late in the game almost allowed Dallas to complete another comeback and steal Game 3.
Stevenson has bad blood with James dating back to 2008, when Stevenson called the two-time MVP “overrated.” For his part, Wade had no comment on Stevenson’s opinion of his on-court acting skills.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 0
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 38
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record