Jun 5, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
This is probably going to be a trade-heavy draft. The picks don’t have the value to make them invaluable. And with so many teams looking to improve, there’s going to be movement. But as of right now, a report says the Wizards moving up for Derrick Williams is not one of them. From the Washington Post:
The rumor may have excited many Wizards fans, but as of right now, the team is not one of “the most active teams” trying to get the second overall pick from Minnesota, according to multiple league sources. That doesn’t mean that the Wizards aren’t high on Arizona forward Derrick Williams (they are) or that they won’t eventually make an aggressive pitch before the June 23 draft (they just might), it just hasn’t happened yet.
The report refutes a separate account from Draft Express saying the Wizards were hot in pursuit. It certainly makes sense for the Wizards to go after Williams. He’s got a high level of athleticism, and is a polished prospect. The Wizards need a small forward of the future, and have some talent to throw around to get the No. 2, along with their pick. But the problem is that what they have isn’t really of No. 2 value outside of John Wall, who of course isn’t getting moved.
Williams would be a great fit next to Wall, but with so many teams aggressive in their attempts to move up, the Wizards can’t be expected to be any higher or lower on the list of possible teams to snag the No.2. The WaPo report also lists a statement from Minnesota’s assistant GM saying they’re not moving the No.2 anyway.
Basically, it’s Minnesota. Your guess is as good as ours.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 0
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 28
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 58
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43