Jun 4, 2011, 5:00 PM EST
Here’s an annoying trend. Everyone wants Chris Paul. The Magic, the Lakers, the Knicks, the Thunder, the Wolves, the Harlem Globetrotters, the Saskatchewan River Buffalo, everyone wants Chris Paul. So what happens is every team thinks they could maybe get him since he was unhappy last summer. So they talk about trying to get him, without talking to NOLA yet. Then someone in the team leaks that fact “Oh, we’d love to get Chris Paul” or “We’re trying to get Chris Paul” and then all of a sudden that becomes “BREAKING NEWS: TEAM THAT HAS NO WAY OF GETTING CHRIS PAUL IN TALKS WITH NEW ORLEANS FOR CHRIS PAUL TRADE.”
It’s not that it’s impossible for Paul to wind up traded. Credible reports indicated he was legitimately unhappy last summer and probably does want to join a superteam like the rest of the Super-Best-Friends. But Dell Demps isn’t taking those calls yet. And if he does, he’s responding with a well-crafted team statement of “HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHANO.”
But still, the questions are asked, and he has to respond by telling people no.
From the New Orleans Times-Picayune:
Demps laughed at Internet speculation there has been trade talks between the Hornets and Oklahoma City Thunder regarding point guards Chris Paul and Russell Westbrook.“Thunder GM Sam Presti and I, our offices used to be right next to each other, so we still text each other all the time, and I can assure you that has not been a conversation we’ve had,” Demps said, cracking a smile as he spoke to reporters.
First off, do we really need the “internet speculation” part? Is that really that much worse than radio or television speculation? Because television speculation has jumped the gun on the Melo trade and said Dwight Howard was close to signing an extension in the past year, both of which were absurd and untrue at the time.
Second, you can bet this came from OKC. There’s a lot of people around that team who make noise consistently about Paul and how he would fit with the Thunder. Except for, you know, the fact that Russell Westbrook is alive this plan makes perfect sense.
If you’re reading this and you’re someone leaking information about Chris Paul, please try and leak “We’d love to have Chris Paul, along with unicorns, Voltron, and Mr. Snuffleupagus. All of which have the same odds of occurring.” Just try and save us a few brain cells.
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 0
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 3
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 3
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 17
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)