Jun 4, 2011, 5:00 PM EST
Here’s an annoying trend. Everyone wants Chris Paul. The Magic, the Lakers, the Knicks, the Thunder, the Wolves, the Harlem Globetrotters, the Saskatchewan River Buffalo, everyone wants Chris Paul. So what happens is every team thinks they could maybe get him since he was unhappy last summer. So they talk about trying to get him, without talking to NOLA yet. Then someone in the team leaks that fact “Oh, we’d love to get Chris Paul” or “We’re trying to get Chris Paul” and then all of a sudden that becomes “BREAKING NEWS: TEAM THAT HAS NO WAY OF GETTING CHRIS PAUL IN TALKS WITH NEW ORLEANS FOR CHRIS PAUL TRADE.”
It’s not that it’s impossible for Paul to wind up traded. Credible reports indicated he was legitimately unhappy last summer and probably does want to join a superteam like the rest of the Super-Best-Friends. But Dell Demps isn’t taking those calls yet. And if he does, he’s responding with a well-crafted team statement of “HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHANO.”
But still, the questions are asked, and he has to respond by telling people no.
From the New Orleans Times-Picayune:
Demps laughed at Internet speculation there has been trade talks between the Hornets and Oklahoma City Thunder regarding point guards Chris Paul and Russell Westbrook.“Thunder GM Sam Presti and I, our offices used to be right next to each other, so we still text each other all the time, and I can assure you that has not been a conversation we’ve had,” Demps said, cracking a smile as he spoke to reporters.
First off, do we really need the “internet speculation” part? Is that really that much worse than radio or television speculation? Because television speculation has jumped the gun on the Melo trade and said Dwight Howard was close to signing an extension in the past year, both of which were absurd and untrue at the time.
Second, you can bet this came from OKC. There’s a lot of people around that team who make noise consistently about Paul and how he would fit with the Thunder. Except for, you know, the fact that Russell Westbrook is alive this plan makes perfect sense.
If you’re reading this and you’re someone leaking information about Chris Paul, please try and leak “We’d love to have Chris Paul, along with unicorns, Voltron, and Mr. Snuffleupagus. All of which have the same odds of occurring.” Just try and save us a few brain cells.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Santa brings Warriors top spot, lump of coal for Knicks 9
- Clippers, Mavericks, Rockets and Kings reportedly interested in signing Josh Smith 13
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 52
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 27
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20