Jun 4, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
Here’s an annoying trend. Everyone wants Chris Paul. The Magic, the Lakers, the Knicks, the Thunder, the Wolves, the Harlem Globetrotters, the Saskatchewan River Buffalo, everyone wants Chris Paul. So what happens is every team thinks they could maybe get him since he was unhappy last summer. So they talk about trying to get him, without talking to NOLA yet. Then someone in the team leaks that fact “Oh, we’d love to get Chris Paul” or “We’re trying to get Chris Paul” and then all of a sudden that becomes “BREAKING NEWS: TEAM THAT HAS NO WAY OF GETTING CHRIS PAUL IN TALKS WITH NEW ORLEANS FOR CHRIS PAUL TRADE.”
It’s not that it’s impossible for Paul to wind up traded. Credible reports indicated he was legitimately unhappy last summer and probably does want to join a superteam like the rest of the Super-Best-Friends. But Dell Demps isn’t taking those calls yet. And if he does, he’s responding with a well-crafted team statement of “HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHANO.”
But still, the questions are asked, and he has to respond by telling people no.
From the New Orleans Times-Picayune:
Demps laughed at Internet speculation there has been trade talks between the Hornets and Oklahoma City Thunder regarding point guards Chris Paul and Russell Westbrook.“Thunder GM Sam Presti and I, our offices used to be right next to each other, so we still text each other all the time, and I can assure you that has not been a conversation we’ve had,” Demps said, cracking a smile as he spoke to reporters.
First off, do we really need the “internet speculation” part? Is that really that much worse than radio or television speculation? Because television speculation has jumped the gun on the Melo trade and said Dwight Howard was close to signing an extension in the past year, both of which were absurd and untrue at the time.
Second, you can bet this came from OKC. There’s a lot of people around that team who make noise consistently about Paul and how he would fit with the Thunder. Except for, you know, the fact that Russell Westbrook is alive this plan makes perfect sense.
If you’re reading this and you’re someone leaking information about Chris Paul, please try and leak “We’d love to have Chris Paul, along with unicorns, Voltron, and Mr. Snuffleupagus. All of which have the same odds of occurring.” Just try and save us a few brain cells.
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 9
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 14
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 16
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 15
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 24
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 6