Expect LeBron, Wade, and the rest of the Heat to keep right on “celebrating”

Jun 4, 2011, 5:26 PM EDT

lebron-wade-celebration

After the Mavericks made their incredible comeback in Game 2,  erasing all of a 15-point Miami lead with just over seven minutes remaining, there were some in the media who were looking to make something out of nothing. The storyline that was concocted was that the “celebration” that went on in front of the Mavericks’ bench between LeBron James and Dwyane Wade after Wade hit a huge three in the corner was over the line, and angered Dallas enough to ignite their late run to victory.

This is complete nonsense, of course, both because the so-called celebration wasn’t anything more than any other player would have done in a similar situation, and because the Mavericks don’t need to be motivated to try to come back and win a game in the Finals. But at the team’s media availability on Saturday in Dallas, the Heat were once again asked about the enthusiasm of their players, and whether or not it might be too much.

Miami’s head coach Erik Spoelstra wasn’t interested in discussing this storyline, but did say he wouldn’t change a thing about how his players show emotion during the course of the game.

“Another storyline.  I’m not really concerned about that,” he said. “I’m more concerned about how we executed or had a lack of execution going down the stretch.  That’s much more important to our team than any of the other storylines.

“We’re viewed in a different way than most teams. We have enthusiastic guys, excitable players.  I would certainly rather have that than a bunch of zombies out there that care about winning.”

James similarly didn’t seem to understand what all the fuss was about, and echoed his coach’s thoughts that playing with emotion is a good thing, and isn’t something that he’s willing to change.

“We’re an emotional team,” James said. ” When we make plays, we can congratulate one another.  I don’t see why this whole thing has been blown out of proportion.  I just look at it in the case of I think ‑‑ I’ve seen Dallas go on plenty of runs before.  You know, if [Jason Terry] hits a three and they make a big run, if he runs down the court doing the whole wings expanded, do we count that as a celebration as well?  I just think everything gets blown out of proportion when the Miami Heat does things.”

That last statement is it exactly: everything gets blown out of proportion when we’re talking about the Heat.

Expect James, Wade, and the rest of his teammates to keep right on celebrating when things are going their way in these Finals. If Dallas doesn’t like it, all they have to do is play the way they did down the stretch of Game 2 to put a stop to it.

1. worldbfree4me - Jun 4, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Sunday cannot come soon enough!!!

2. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 4, 2011 at 5:42 PM

That “celebration” storyline was concocted by ESPN to explain away what happened in game 2. I have no stake in this series, other than wanting to see great basketball, but the blatant bias and favoritism that espn has shown towards Miami is really hard to watch.

• medtxpack - Jun 4, 2011 at 8:26 PM

terry even said it motivated his team. espn does have a huge bias though…

3. mannyfresh209 - Jun 4, 2011 at 9:11 PM

what happened was, the heat got complacent and lazy, and once the mavs r hot they r one of the hardest teams in the league to defense. the mavs are the ones who made this story up, starting with jason terry tryna go mouth off to the heat bench. he dishes it out well, but cant take it at all.

the heat easily had a stranglehold on this series, now theyll just have to play focused for the remainder of it. and we all see what happens when theyre focused.

4. dbick - Jun 4, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Normally I would agree with the premise of this article. But when Dwade poses for an extra 3 seconds and then lebron comes down to celebrate with him right IN FRONT of the Dallas bench, I’m sure that fired them up.

5. beachdetailing - Jun 4, 2011 at 11:48 PM

OK, it doesn’t appear that anyone else has addressed this so I will. The problem is NOT that the Heat were celebrating; Dwyane Wade had every right to keep his follow through extended since it was a big shot. The problem is that LeBron James is a total douche bag and came over to celebrate and “act a fool” by throwing fake punches into D-Wades chest. Seriously, did you ever see MJ, Magic, or Bird do anything even remotely like that??? A celebration like MJ had after “The Shot” is one thing, that was historic. But LeBron always seems to find a way to say or do something completely immature that accentuates what a DB he is. So even though I don’t speak for everybody, I think I speak for many when I say: I don’t hate the Heat, I think D-Wade is awesome and Bosh is irrelevant. But LeBron is a complete tool and I wish him nothing but the worst.

6. eagles7to10 - Jun 5, 2011 at 12:20 AM

What did they expect after the circus they had together before even practicing together and already claiming championshipS! I hope they lose in 5.

7. coltsfanindc - Jun 5, 2011 at 8:35 AM

so what fired them up when they came back against okc? the lakers in game 1? its just another of many storylines when it comes to Miami

• dbick - Jun 5, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Not saying that Dallas needs people to celebrate in front of them to get them fired up to stage a comeback. But if you think 2 dudes showing you up right in front of your bench isn’t going to light a fire under your ass then you must not have much of a competitive drive.

8. dgbk - Jun 5, 2011 at 8:48 AM

I wish ppl will stop with the lazy and celebrating talk. the heat were outplayed for the final 7 mins of the game. I doubt if the heat came back fron 15 down any1 will say the mavs played lazy. The headlines will read “heroic comeback” blah blah blah.

• kilo0986 - Jun 5, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Lol yeah and breakdown the last 7mins and give out 50 reason why lebron is clutch and how the mavs were just to soft, they’re the same team of 06 and how dirk can’t lead a team to victory. F@!?# that, give the mavs some respect you don’t do.that 3 times in the playoffs and just call it luck. It amazes me how hard some of these people ride the heats jock

9. ezwriter69 - Jun 5, 2011 at 10:41 AM

“the so-called celebration wasn’t anything more than any other player would have done in a similar situation”
    Bullbleep. Just bullbleep. There are players left who have class, this statement is simply bullbleep.

10. passerby23 - Jun 5, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Was it an excessive celebration? Yes. Wade held his hand up there for an eternity. While Terry takes exception to it, Lebron jumps in with fake punches to the chest of Wade pretending no one is bothered. All this for making a three? Do Bosh and Lebron have to scream emphatically on every dunk? No. But, was it the cause of Dallas winning the game? No.

I agree, Dirk doesn’t do these obnoxious things. Jordan would talk a lot of trash, but you would never see him making foolish celebrations.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches