Jun 3, 2011, 4:41 PM EDT
Kurt Rambis is still the coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves.
That’s all he knows.
Rambis finally broke his media silence following workouts for potential draftees at the Target Center — but that didn’t really clear anything up about who will coach the team next year. Because he’s only had “minor conversations” with sGM David Kahn since the season ended and he doesn’t know, Rambis told the Star-Tribune (via CBS Eye On Basketball).
“The way I see it, I’m doing my job,” he said. “I’m still the coach of this team until something happens so I’ve got to be watching for talent, doing whatever I can to help this team get better.
“It’s out of my control. There’s nothing I can do about it. I just have to proceed as I am and do my job. These are workouts I feel like I should be at.”
Rambis, rightfully, sounded frustrated.
When asked if he thinks the situation is being handled appropriately, he said, “It’s not how I would handle it, no…I think everybody has reasons for why they conduct their business in the way they want to conduct their business. If you’re asking me if that’s what I’d do, no. That’s not how I would handle things, but everybody’s different.”
There is potential in Minnesota. Ricky Rubio coming in at the point, Kevin Love in the middle, the No. 2 draft pick coming in. There are some building blocks.
But franchises that win consistently are that way from the top down. There is a direction on the kind of team being built, a sense of professionalism that starts at ownership and filters down to the court. Leaving a coach twisting in the wind for months? Very unprofessional.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28