Jun 3, 2011, 4:41 PM EST
Kurt Rambis is still the coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves.
That’s all he knows.
Rambis finally broke his media silence following workouts for potential draftees at the Target Center — but that didn’t really clear anything up about who will coach the team next year. Because he’s only had “minor conversations” with sGM David Kahn since the season ended and he doesn’t know, Rambis told the Star-Tribune (via CBS Eye On Basketball).
“The way I see it, I’m doing my job,” he said. “I’m still the coach of this team until something happens so I’ve got to be watching for talent, doing whatever I can to help this team get better.
“It’s out of my control. There’s nothing I can do about it. I just have to proceed as I am and do my job. These are workouts I feel like I should be at.”
Rambis, rightfully, sounded frustrated.
When asked if he thinks the situation is being handled appropriately, he said, “It’s not how I would handle it, no…I think everybody has reasons for why they conduct their business in the way they want to conduct their business. If you’re asking me if that’s what I’d do, no. That’s not how I would handle things, but everybody’s different.”
There is potential in Minnesota. Ricky Rubio coming in at the point, Kevin Love in the middle, the No. 2 draft pick coming in. There are some building blocks.
But franchises that win consistently are that way from the top down. There is a direction on the kind of team being built, a sense of professionalism that starts at ownership and filters down to the court. Leaving a coach twisting in the wind for months? Very unprofessional.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 14
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 36
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 52
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 42
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28