Rambis has no idea what is happening with Wolves either

Jun 3, 2011, 4:41 PM EDT

Kurt Rambis AP

Kurt Rambis is still the coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves.

That’s all he knows.

Rambis finally broke his media silence following workouts for potential draftees at the Target Center — but that didn’t really clear anything up about who will coach the team next year. Because he’s only had “minor conversations” with sGM David Kahn since the season ended and he doesn’t know, Rambis told the Star-Tribune (via CBS Eye On Basketball).

“The way I see it, I’m doing my job,” he said. “I’m still the coach of this team until something happens so I’ve got to be watching for talent, doing whatever I can to help this team get better.

“It’s out of my control. There’s nothing I can do about it. I just have to proceed as I am and do my job. These are workouts I feel like I should be at.”

Rambis, rightfully, sounded frustrated.

When asked if he thinks the situation is being handled appropriately, he said, “It’s not how I would handle it, no…I think everybody has reasons for why they conduct their business in the way they want to conduct their business. If you’re asking me if that’s what I’d do, no. That’s not how I would handle things, but everybody’s different.”

There is potential in Minnesota. Ricky Rubio coming in at the point, Kevin Love in the middle, the No. 2 draft pick coming in. There are some building blocks.

But franchises that win consistently are that way from the top down. There is a direction on the kind of team being built, a sense of professionalism that starts at ownership and filters down to the court. Leaving a coach twisting in the wind for months? Very unprofessional.

1. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:56 PM

I dont think Rambis is the main problem with the wolves. The main problem is Glen Taylor and his boytoy David Kahn.

2. lebronsinsecurity - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:23 PM

I know I’m probably in the minority on this one, but IMHO Rambis is PART of the problem.. I watched every single game last season (I know it sounds crazy), and 3/4 the way through, I couldn’t defend Kurt’s decision making in terms of when to call a timeout or proper substitutions.. Countless times he pulled the hot hand, ran terrible offensive sets, and never coached to the players strengths.. As a young, athletic, and extremely inexperienced team, the coach needs to run the offense that play to the players strengths, all while demanding some defensive effort.. Unfortunately we saw none of that. I had high hopes for Kurt when he arrived, and he may not be that terrible of a coach, just not for this young team. There were a hand full of teams this year with equal or lesser talent than the wolves that almost doubled the amount of wins this team had.. Maybe I’m way off… either way, make that decision already Khan..

• philosofly - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:32 PM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you can’t blame Kurt Rambis for a young, inexperienced team’s inability to close out games. Rambis did not always pull the hot hand, in fact, as somebody who also watched every single game I recall Kurt having a lot of teachable moments that he handled perfectly. Sure, there were nights when Beasley hat the hot hand and got pulled… why did he get pulled? As the game went on Beasley’s confidence would rise and rise to the point where he would start taking (and missing) ridiculously bad shots. Over time that too will change, Beasley will learn, only if someone sits him down and teaches him. there were times when Flynn mismanaged games towards the end of the season and Rambis would pull him aside to teach him. Rambis is a teacher and a good one at that.

As far as the timeouts go, that is something Rambis will learn as he too is a young coach and just like the players he has some learning to do to. don’t think for one second Rambis isn’t dedicated to his craft and won’t correct his own mistakes.

Finally, as far as playing to his player’s strengths, he finally said at the end of the season that he will tailor the offense to play to his player’s strengths next season. See, already he’s correcting his own mishaps.

Stop the impatience and give him one more year. You won’t be let down. I’m not saying they will make the playoffs but I do expect a 30 win team with the playoffs within reach.

3. philosofly - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:23 PM

As a lifelong Wolves fan I must say I’m trying to give Kahn the benefit of the doubt. I really, really am trying. Sure, he’s not the worst GM in MN (that coveted title goes to Bill Smith of the Twins… have you seen their bullpen?), but the way he handles things baffles me.

Here’s the deal, I don’t know if Kahn has an ego or not but from his actions lately I’d say he has a huge ego problem. I absolutely, 110% without a doubt think Rambis is the right coach to carry this young team into the next decade! I’m a huge fan of Kurt and really hope the professionalism he brings to the table is contagious to not only the players, but the front office/ownership as well. It seems like Kahn is hiding behind closed doors to protect his own mistakes (Flynn, Webster’s inability to be productive this past season which will change, and maybe Darko’s contract even though he was worth it defensively at times) and thus not making a commitment to his head coach.

It’s time to commit David Kahn. I know you’re a guy who reads the media, but start listening to some fans too. Kurt Rambis is going to be a great coach, you know it too or you would not have hired him in the first place. Look at what he’s done with K-Love! You’ve made some solid moves to make up for some of your mistakes. You stole Beasley from the Heat, you drafted Ricky Rubio, you brought in Anthony Tolliver who is a real team player with hustle, you drafted Wes Johnson and we’re all waiting to see what kind of work ethic he has but his defense has been clutch, and you stole Anthony Randolph from the Knicks. Those are all great moves! Now, have some confidence in your coach. Call Kurt up and reassure him so the franchise can have some stability! It will be the best decision you’ve ever made.

4. philosofly - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Oh yeah, plus he signed Ridnour who has been a big plus for us.

5. dogsweat1 - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:13 PM

San Jose or Kansas City Timber Wolves………..

• philosofly - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Sorry, you are dreaming. The Timberwolves have plenty of fan support in MN. They are not the only team losing money in the NBA which is why we’re facing a potential lockout. Rightfully so in the NBA, they don’t have the cash cow the NFL has and part of the problem is the ridiculous contract problem in the NBA when it comes to mediocre talent.

• whatagreatfootballmind - Jun 3, 2011 at 10:53 PM

8 teams only made money this year. The Wolves are in the group of 22 teams that didnt make money. Hello lockout.

6. smitheye - Jun 3, 2011 at 8:48 PM

If you think Rambis is a good fit for the wolves than you don’t know basketball, plain and simple. You can’t implement an old mans “triangle offense” to a team with a bunch of young gunners… The wolves don’t have a guy like Kobe or Jordan so it is just plain stupidity.

• whatagreatfootballmind - Jun 3, 2011 at 10:53 PM

well said.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jun 3, 2011 at 11:27 PM

I said i dont think he is the MAIN problem with the wolves.

• philosofly - Jun 3, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Hmm, that’s interesting. Even Phil Jackson says Kobe doesn’t play within the triangle system at all. So, who doesn’t know basketball browneye?

The “triangle offense” is a fast paced, exciting offense when executed properly. In fact, you don’t know basketball at all if you DON’T think you need a youthful team to run it, plain and simple.

• philosofly - Jun 4, 2011 at 12:09 AM

An example of a true old man’s system? The Boston Celtics. It works for their player’s strengths though. The triangle offense is in no way, shape or form an old man’s system. Only complete ignorance would call the triangle an old man’s system.

7. smitheye - Jun 3, 2011 at 8:49 PM

And if Rambis is not fired and Rubio is our starting PG, to run Kurts offense would not take advantage of Rubios talents and he would be nothing but average at best. He needs the ball in his hands to create, plain and simple.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jun 3, 2011 at 11:28 PM

but i agree with you on him running the triangle.

• philosofly - Jun 4, 2011 at 5:37 PM

What are you even talking about, browneye? Rubio has the potential to be the ultimate triangle point guard!! He is a playmaker, his game is suited for a FAST PACED offense. He plays defense. He’ll have options, he’ll have guys to kick it to… think K-Love as the 3-point threat Odom is. Boom, how do ya like me now? Think Beasley as as mid range chance worth taking, maybe even a James Worthy type with enough hard work. B-EZ can score and Rubio WILL find him. Boom! How do ya like me now, son? Oh, now let’s talk other options… Anthony Randolph, have you seen him get hot? He’s got a nice jumper man, and the dude plays mad D! Rubio will find him. BOOM! How do ya like me now? Webster can shoot, Tollie can hit the 3 when open, and Darko actually plays within the triangle pretty well for a big man, he just has been slightly inconsistent on offense (but not too bad considering his D). Wes is the X factor here, Rubio will find him. No boom for that one yet though, Wes has some practicing to do.

Saying the triangle won’t take advantage of Rubio’s playmaking ability is insulting to Rubio’s intelligence and skills. Ricky Rubio is Ricky Rubio. He’s not Pistol Pete or anybody else everybody wants to compare him to. Ricky Rubio will be just fine in the triangle and will make this offense much better and more efficient.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches