Isiah Thomas says he does not want to be Knicks president

Jun 3, 2011, 8:34 PM EDT

Isaih Thomas Introduced as New Knicks GM Getty Images

It doesn’t work like this. So don’t believe it.

But we will first report the official news — Isiah Thomas told ESPN multiple times he does not want to be president of the New York Knicks in the wake of Donnie Walsh being pushed out of the job.

“I have no desire to return as president of the Knicks,” said Thomas, now the head coach of Florida International University. “I’m not a candidate to replace Donnie. I like the job I have right now, and the toll that the (Knicks) job took on me, my wife, and my kids, I don’t want to go through that again.”

He will not be named as the president of the Knicks. Dolan could not handle the public relations storm. That is not how it works anyway.

Thomas will continue to have the ear of owner Dolan, and in many ways that is better than being GM. Isiah has outlasted Walsh. Thomas’ influence pushed the Carmelo Anthony trade through in the form that gave up most of the Knicks role players over Walsh, he’s already had power.

This is the Knicks under Dolan — what is official and reality are two different things. So no, officially Thomas will not have a role with the Knicks. But don’t you believe it.

1. trbowman - Jun 3, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Lock Isiah Thomas up and toss the key

• bababenny - Jun 4, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Lock him up—tie his legs to multiple cement blocks and drop him in the Hudson.

2. finfanrb23 - Jun 3, 2011 at 9:52 PM

It’s about time Isiah did something positive for the Knicks…

3. bleedhouse - Jun 3, 2011 at 10:23 PM

The only bigger joke than Isiah Thomas is James Dolan

4. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 3, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Thomas has a big enough ego he probably believes he was responsible for the Knicks making the playoffs this year.

5. diablito0402 - Jun 3, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Damm thomas was the reason the knicka where over the cap for 4 years after he left with contracts on curry and other useles players. I think thomas got some pictures of knicks president doing some illegal stuff otherwise why would this guys name keep popping up for these jobs with the nicks

6. purdueman - Jun 4, 2011 at 4:44 PM

This is a lot like when management gives a head coach or manager their “vote of confidence”. Zeke is a tailor made hand in glove fit for the bumbling Knicks organization. The Knicks need Zeke, as Zeke is one of most comical and headline making pro sports managers of them all!

I can see it all now… one day he’s bringing back fat Eddie Curry, and the next he’s caught chasing a female reporter around a desk with his package exposed!

I have a former employee who was a writer assigned to cover the Golden State Warriors for a couple of years and he told me that Zeke’s lockerroom nickname is: “Big Dick” (and I’ll swear on the Bible that my source is totally credible and would have no reason to make this up). That’s so New York! Big Dick meets the Big Apple! Film at 11.

7. Brian - Jun 5, 2011 at 10:45 AM

James ‘The Megalomaniac” Dolan makes marketing the Brooklyn Nets a whole lot easier.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches