Jun 3, 2011, 8:34 PM EDT
It doesn’t work like this. So don’t believe it.
“I have no desire to return as president of the Knicks,” said Thomas, now the head coach of Florida International University. “I’m not a candidate to replace Donnie. I like the job I have right now, and the toll that the (Knicks) job took on me, my wife, and my kids, I don’t want to go through that again.”
He will not be named as the president of the Knicks. Dolan could not handle the public relations storm. That is not how it works anyway.
Thomas will continue to have the ear of owner Dolan, and in many ways that is better than being GM. Isiah has outlasted Walsh. Thomas’ influence pushed the Carmelo Anthony trade through in the form that gave up most of the Knicks role players over Walsh, he’s already had power.
This is the Knicks under Dolan — what is official and reality are two different things. So no, officially Thomas will not have a role with the Knicks. But don’t you believe it.
- Report: Knicks, Phil Jackson have deal in principle for him to be team president. Or not. Depends on who you ask. 18
- Extra Pass: Western Conference playoff field ought to be really good, but just how good? 1
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: San Antonio with another impressive statement 8
- Kevin Durant scores 42, Thunder win a chippy one over Rockets 8
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 23