Jun 3, 2011, 8:34 PM EDT
It doesn’t work like this. So don’t believe it.
“I have no desire to return as president of the Knicks,” said Thomas, now the head coach of Florida International University. “I’m not a candidate to replace Donnie. I like the job I have right now, and the toll that the (Knicks) job took on me, my wife, and my kids, I don’t want to go through that again.”
He will not be named as the president of the Knicks. Dolan could not handle the public relations storm. That is not how it works anyway.
Thomas will continue to have the ear of owner Dolan, and in many ways that is better than being GM. Isiah has outlasted Walsh. Thomas’ influence pushed the Carmelo Anthony trade through in the form that gave up most of the Knicks role players over Walsh, he’s already had power.
This is the Knicks under Dolan — what is official and reality are two different things. So no, officially Thomas will not have a role with the Knicks. But don’t you believe it.
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 8
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 5
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3