Jun 3, 2011, 8:34 PM EST
It doesn’t work like this. So don’t believe it.
“I have no desire to return as president of the Knicks,” said Thomas, now the head coach of Florida International University. “I’m not a candidate to replace Donnie. I like the job I have right now, and the toll that the (Knicks) job took on me, my wife, and my kids, I don’t want to go through that again.”
He will not be named as the president of the Knicks. Dolan could not handle the public relations storm. That is not how it works anyway.
Thomas will continue to have the ear of owner Dolan, and in many ways that is better than being GM. Isiah has outlasted Walsh. Thomas’ influence pushed the Carmelo Anthony trade through in the form that gave up most of the Knicks role players over Walsh, he’s already had power.
This is the Knicks under Dolan — what is official and reality are two different things. So no, officially Thomas will not have a role with the Knicks. But don’t you believe it.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 15
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 36
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 53
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28