Is Shaq coming back to NBA? “Probably not”

Jun 3, 2011, 5:09 PM EST

balance bracelets Shaquille O'Neal

You didn’t expect Shaquille O’Neal to totally shut the door, did you?

He left it open a crack when talking with our man A. Sherrod Blakely with CSN New England in a one-on-one after his farewell press conference Friday.

So Shaq, could you make a comeback?

“Probably not,” O’Neal told Comcast SportsNet moments after announcing his retirement at his home in Orlando, Fla.

When reminded that such an answer leaves the door for speculation open wide open, O’Neal responded, “I say probably not; you finish the sentence how you want to finish it.”

The path to Shaq getting his body back all the way to take the beating the NBA (and running up and down it’s hardwood floors) dishes out. It’s surgery and a lot of hard rehab work. At 39 it’s a slow process. Still… you can’t totally rule it out. The feeling around the league is pretty much the same.

“I don’t think he’ll be like Brett Favre and go back and forth, over and over again,” said one Eastern Conference executive on Friday. “But if he does have some kind of surgery and he’s feeling pretty good and maybe most important, the Celtics need another big man, I think the expectation becomes that at the very least, both him and the Celtics would think about trying to make it work.”

Shaq wants one more ring. Enough that you shouldn’t rule anything out.

1. digitalpoo - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:27 PM

I swear you already wrote this article Kurt.

2. trbowman - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:14 PM

I mean….

If he stays fit and healthy and wants to play for a contender, maybe he could make a return for the playoffs next season.

Then again, there probably won’t be a next season.

• beagle11 - Jun 3, 2011 at 8:01 PM

He’s been neither fit nor healthy since he left Miami

3. andrejohnsonforpresident - Jun 3, 2011 at 8:10 PM

right before the playoffs he signs a small contract with the heat.. Haha

4. swcombine - Jul 23, 2011 at 1:08 AM

I hope Shaq Comes back… He was my favorite player… of all time.. My role model

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches