Jun 3, 2011, 5:09 PM EDT
You didn’t expect Shaquille O’Neal to totally shut the door, did you?
So Shaq, could you make a comeback?
“Probably not,” O’Neal told Comcast SportsNet moments after announcing his retirement at his home in Orlando, Fla.
When reminded that such an answer leaves the door for speculation open wide open, O’Neal responded, “I say probably not; you finish the sentence how you want to finish it.”
The path to Shaq getting his body back all the way to take the beating the NBA (and running up and down it’s hardwood floors) dishes out. It’s surgery and a lot of hard rehab work. At 39 it’s a slow process. Still… you can’t totally rule it out. The feeling around the league is pretty much the same.
“I don’t think he’ll be like Brett Favre and go back and forth, over and over again,” said one Eastern Conference executive on Friday. “But if he does have some kind of surgery and he’s feeling pretty good and maybe most important, the Celtics need another big man, I think the expectation becomes that at the very least, both him and the Celtics would think about trying to make it work.”
Shaq wants one more ring. Enough that you shouldn’t rule anything out.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 23
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 30
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23