Jun 3, 2011, 5:09 PM EDT
You didn’t expect Shaquille O’Neal to totally shut the door, did you?
So Shaq, could you make a comeback?
“Probably not,” O’Neal told Comcast SportsNet moments after announcing his retirement at his home in Orlando, Fla.
When reminded that such an answer leaves the door for speculation open wide open, O’Neal responded, “I say probably not; you finish the sentence how you want to finish it.”
The path to Shaq getting his body back all the way to take the beating the NBA (and running up and down it’s hardwood floors) dishes out. It’s surgery and a lot of hard rehab work. At 39 it’s a slow process. Still… you can’t totally rule it out. The feeling around the league is pretty much the same.
“I don’t think he’ll be like Brett Favre and go back and forth, over and over again,” said one Eastern Conference executive on Friday. “But if he does have some kind of surgery and he’s feeling pretty good and maybe most important, the Celtics need another big man, I think the expectation becomes that at the very least, both him and the Celtics would think about trying to make it work.”
Shaq wants one more ring. Enough that you shouldn’t rule anything out.
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 0
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 24
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 6
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 7
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 17