Jun 3, 2011, 5:09 PM EDT
You didn’t expect Shaquille O’Neal to totally shut the door, did you?
So Shaq, could you make a comeback?
“Probably not,” O’Neal told Comcast SportsNet moments after announcing his retirement at his home in Orlando, Fla.
When reminded that such an answer leaves the door for speculation open wide open, O’Neal responded, “I say probably not; you finish the sentence how you want to finish it.”
The path to Shaq getting his body back all the way to take the beating the NBA (and running up and down it’s hardwood floors) dishes out. It’s surgery and a lot of hard rehab work. At 39 it’s a slow process. Still… you can’t totally rule it out. The feeling around the league is pretty much the same.
“I don’t think he’ll be like Brett Favre and go back and forth, over and over again,” said one Eastern Conference executive on Friday. “But if he does have some kind of surgery and he’s feeling pretty good and maybe most important, the Celtics need another big man, I think the expectation becomes that at the very least, both him and the Celtics would think about trying to make it work.”
Shaq wants one more ring. Enough that you shouldn’t rule anything out.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 30
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 46
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4