Jun 2, 2011, 3:15 PM EST
The one-year anniversary is just over a month away.
As television, “The Decision” ranks somewhere up there with “Manimal” and “B.J. and the Bear.”
But unlike those Neilson losers, “The Decision,” to a degree, continues to rate as meaningful media.
From this travesty, there actually has been a payoff.
Thursday, as he prepared for Game 2 of the NBA Finals, LeBron James again spoke of how the medium was perhaps not best for his message when it came to that nationally televised announcement that he would be leaving the Cleveland Cavaliers for the Miami Heat in free agency. But he also spoke about a message that might have been lost in the equation, but one that still resonates 11 months later.
Not only was $2 million raised for the Boys & Girls Clubs of America with the broadcast of his announcement at a Greenwich, Conn., club, but James said dividends continue to be paid.
“Of course it overshadowed what my main objective was, which was rightfully so, I understand,” he said, yet again distancing himself from that awkward moment.
“But it doesn’t matter. These kids are benefitting from it. There are so many clubs that are opening, not only here in Miami, but Cleveland and Akron and New York, Los Angeles.”
James said he has visited several club, increasingly appreciative of the mission.
“They get an opportunity to not only shed light on themselves, but to their community they’re in, to try to get them off the streets, after school,” he said. “And that’s the main thing. That’s when a lot of bad things happen with kids, after school, they don’t have anything to do. The Boys & Girls Club of America have done a great job and I’m just glad I was able to be a part of it and to shed light on it.”
Of course, he’s now keeping many of those same kids up way past their bedtimes.
Asked if he felt the youth of America are watching him to the finish of these games that are approaching midnight in the East, he said, “Absolutely.”
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 4
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 3
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 13
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 12
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Report: Kenyon Martin, Metta World Peace had “heated” argument (35)