Jun 2, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
The one-year anniversary is just over a month away.
As television, “The Decision” ranks somewhere up there with “Manimal” and “B.J. and the Bear.”
But unlike those Neilson losers, “The Decision,” to a degree, continues to rate as meaningful media.
From this travesty, there actually has been a payoff.
Thursday, as he prepared for Game 2 of the NBA Finals, LeBron James again spoke of how the medium was perhaps not best for his message when it came to that nationally televised announcement that he would be leaving the Cleveland Cavaliers for the Miami Heat in free agency. But he also spoke about a message that might have been lost in the equation, but one that still resonates 11 months later.
Not only was $2 million raised for the Boys & Girls Clubs of America with the broadcast of his announcement at a Greenwich, Conn., club, but James said dividends continue to be paid.
“Of course it overshadowed what my main objective was, which was rightfully so, I understand,” he said, yet again distancing himself from that awkward moment.
“But it doesn’t matter. These kids are benefitting from it. There are so many clubs that are opening, not only here in Miami, but Cleveland and Akron and New York, Los Angeles.”
James said he has visited several club, increasingly appreciative of the mission.
“They get an opportunity to not only shed light on themselves, but to their community they’re in, to try to get them off the streets, after school,” he said. “And that’s the main thing. That’s when a lot of bad things happen with kids, after school, they don’t have anything to do. The Boys & Girls Club of America have done a great job and I’m just glad I was able to be a part of it and to shed light on it.”
Of course, he’s now keeping many of those same kids up way past their bedtimes.
Asked if he felt the youth of America are watching him to the finish of these games that are approaching midnight in the East, he said, “Absolutely.”
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 5
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 10
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 2
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 7
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 70
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 65
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14