Jun 2, 2011, 5:36 PM EST
The Minnesota Timberwolves have the #2 pick in the upcoming draft, and it’s not a state secret that they’re not overly thrilled about the pick. Arizona combo forward Derrick Williams is the consensus #2 pick in the draft, and Minnesota’s two best young players are Michael Beasley and Kevin Love, so there are a ton of rumors about Minnesota potentially looking to trade the pick.
According to Draft Express’ Jonathan Givony, the Suns and the Wizards have been “the most active teams” in trying to trade up for Williams. The teams hold the 13th and 6th picks in the upcoming draft, respectively. Minnesota is reportedly looking for a “veteran big man” in a potential trade of the #2 pick, which neither the Suns or Wizards can really offer, unless the Suns are willing to give up Robin Lopez (who isn’t even that much of a veteran), or David Kahn is a big Marcin Gortat fan.
Lots of teams seem to want Williams more than the Timberwolves do, but it takes a lot more than that to make a trade involving a #2 overall pick. We’ll see how this all shakes out.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 2
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 6
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 13
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8