Jun 2, 2011, 5:36 PM EDT
The Minnesota Timberwolves have the #2 pick in the upcoming draft, and it’s not a state secret that they’re not overly thrilled about the pick. Arizona combo forward Derrick Williams is the consensus #2 pick in the draft, and Minnesota’s two best young players are Michael Beasley and Kevin Love, so there are a ton of rumors about Minnesota potentially looking to trade the pick.
According to Draft Express’ Jonathan Givony, the Suns and the Wizards have been “the most active teams” in trying to trade up for Williams. The teams hold the 13th and 6th picks in the upcoming draft, respectively. Minnesota is reportedly looking for a “veteran big man” in a potential trade of the #2 pick, which neither the Suns or Wizards can really offer, unless the Suns are willing to give up Robin Lopez (who isn’t even that much of a veteran), or David Kahn is a big Marcin Gortat fan.
Lots of teams seem to want Williams more than the Timberwolves do, but it takes a lot more than that to make a trade involving a #2 overall pick. We’ll see how this all shakes out.
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 8
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 11
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 39
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 5
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 6