Jun 2, 2011, 10:59 AM EST
This is not about to stop him — Dirk Nowitzki is going to be out there on the court against the Miami Heat on Thursday night with a splint on the upper half of the middle finger on his left hand (non-shooting hand).
He can adjust his shot and how he uses his guide hand (you can pretty much bet he will have taken hundreds of shots between Game 1 and the start of Game 2 with the splint on). It will be an adjustment, but with all the awkward shots the guy hits, it’s pretty easy to see him knocking down jumper after jumper, splint or no.
But the rest of his game may be an issue, he admitted to the Star-Telegram (and other media at the NBA finals).
“I don’t think it’s going to be necessarily bothering me on the shot,” Nowitzki said before Wednesday’s practice. “It’s not like you do anything crazy with it.
“It’s going to be other stuff — dribbling, passing, catching, swiping down — stuff like that. I think it will be OK.”
Nowitzki was his average self in Game 1 — 27 points on 7-of-18 shooting. What Nowitzki and the Mavericks learned is that their average selves — even their average playoff selves — is not going to be enough in the finals. Dallas is going to need better, more efficient shooting and playing all around. And that starts with Nowtizki.
- Kendrick Perkins tells Joakim Noah to “get your a– up out’ of Thunder locker room 8
- The Extra Pass: Chicago’s never-ending story, plus Thursday’s recaps 0
- No stars, no problem: Spurs reserves too much for Warriors in 104-102 win 4
- Kobe injury a reality check for Lakers, doesn’t really change plan 12
- Spurs will rest Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili in nationally televised game, Tony Parker also out 31
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (58)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (48)