Jun 2, 2011, 4:39 PM EDT
Dirk Nowitzki has carried the Dallas Mavericks to the NBA Finals with some absolutely masterful performances, is probably the best European player to ever play in the NBA, and has been one of the league’s best players for years now. But that doesn’t mean many people actually, you know, know who he is. As it turns out, Nowitzki has Arcade Fire-like name recognition, according to Cheryl Hall of the Dallas Morning News (hat tip to Deadspin’s Emma Carmichael):
Nearly two-thirds of American consumers still don’t recognize the Mavericks’ superstar forward, even after Nowitzki’s stellar performance in the Western Conference playoffs, according to consumer feedback compiled by the Marketing Arm for The Dallas Morning News.
The most staggering figure found out from the study, however, is that Nowitzki isn’t even the most recognized player on his own team. That honor would go point guard Jason Kidd. ‘Nowitzki is practically invisible compared to Miami Heat superstar LeBron James, who is recognized by eight of 10 consumers,’ Hall noted in her article. ‘Even Mavericks teammate Jason Kidd scores higher, with nearly half of consumers knowing who he is.’
Maybe a Finals win will help more Americans recognize Nowitzki, but even if he loses, it’s sort of ludicrous that so many Americans don’t know who one of the NBA’s best athletes on the court and best role models off the court is.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 7
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 28
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 52
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 85
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13