Jun 2, 2011, 8:29 PM EDT
Chad Buchanan got thrust into the Portland general managers job without much if any warning. Without much time to plan or think about it. Rich Cho was unexpectedly out, he was in.
But this is his time of year, he’s a scout so the draft is his thing. He’s in his comfort zone with that, he told Portland radio’s Jay Allen on 750 The Game‘s The Daily Wrap (as transcribed by Blazers Edge). Good interview.
What caught our eye was this comment about Brandon Roy.
We all recognize — if you watch Game 3 and Game 4 of our playoff series — that Brandon Roy has still got some game. We are very conscious of that. People have counted him out but I think we all recognize that Brandon can play at a high level. Whether it’s for 82 games or not? I think that’s something that Brandon is still trying to figure out with his body and where he’s at. I think for our coaches and for Nate trying to figure out best how to utilize him knowing his health moving forward. I think we’re both kind of in the feeling now: How is this going to work moving forward?
What may be the biggest challenges going forward is getting Roy to accept reduced minutes, days off, taking some rest. He could be a sixth man of the year candidate, if he can accept that role. Roy is a competitor by nature, he wants to power through this knee problem (even if it is not getting better). In his head, he is the Brandon Roy from the fourth quarter of Game 4 against Dallas. We may know that he cannot sustain that level for 82 games, but Roy doesn’t think that way.
By the time next season starts, whenever that is, everyone in the Blazers organization needs to be on the same page about this. And make sure Roy joins them on this page.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32