Jun 2, 2011, 8:29 PM EDT
Chad Buchanan got thrust into the Portland general managers job without much if any warning. Without much time to plan or think about it. Rich Cho was unexpectedly out, he was in.
But this is his time of year, he’s a scout so the draft is his thing. He’s in his comfort zone with that, he told Portland radio’s Jay Allen on 750 The Game‘s The Daily Wrap (as transcribed by Blazers Edge). Good interview.
What caught our eye was this comment about Brandon Roy.
We all recognize — if you watch Game 3 and Game 4 of our playoff series — that Brandon Roy has still got some game. We are very conscious of that. People have counted him out but I think we all recognize that Brandon can play at a high level. Whether it’s for 82 games or not? I think that’s something that Brandon is still trying to figure out with his body and where he’s at. I think for our coaches and for Nate trying to figure out best how to utilize him knowing his health moving forward. I think we’re both kind of in the feeling now: How is this going to work moving forward?
What may be the biggest challenges going forward is getting Roy to accept reduced minutes, days off, taking some rest. He could be a sixth man of the year candidate, if he can accept that role. Roy is a competitor by nature, he wants to power through this knee problem (even if it is not getting better). In his head, he is the Brandon Roy from the fourth quarter of Game 4 against Dallas. We may know that he cannot sustain that level for 82 games, but Roy doesn’t think that way.
By the time next season starts, whenever that is, everyone in the Blazers organization needs to be on the same page about this. And make sure Roy joins them on this page.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 4
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- LIVE: Pacers aim to even series with Heat
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million