Jun 2, 2011, 8:29 PM EST
Chad Buchanan got thrust into the Portland general managers job without much if any warning. Without much time to plan or think about it. Rich Cho was unexpectedly out, he was in.
But this is his time of year, he’s a scout so the draft is his thing. He’s in his comfort zone with that, he told Portland radio’s Jay Allen on 750 The Game‘s The Daily Wrap (as transcribed by Blazers Edge). Good interview.
What caught our eye was this comment about Brandon Roy.
We all recognize — if you watch Game 3 and Game 4 of our playoff series — that Brandon Roy has still got some game. We are very conscious of that. People have counted him out but I think we all recognize that Brandon can play at a high level. Whether it’s for 82 games or not? I think that’s something that Brandon is still trying to figure out with his body and where he’s at. I think for our coaches and for Nate trying to figure out best how to utilize him knowing his health moving forward. I think we’re both kind of in the feeling now: How is this going to work moving forward?
What may be the biggest challenges going forward is getting Roy to accept reduced minutes, days off, taking some rest. He could be a sixth man of the year candidate, if he can accept that role. Roy is a competitor by nature, he wants to power through this knee problem (even if it is not getting better). In his head, he is the Brandon Roy from the fourth quarter of Game 4 against Dallas. We may know that he cannot sustain that level for 82 games, but Roy doesn’t think that way.
By the time next season starts, whenever that is, everyone in the Blazers organization needs to be on the same page about this. And make sure Roy joins them on this page.
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 0
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 8
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 10
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 54
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 14