May 31, 2011, 1:44 PM EDT
Your crew of referees for Game 1 of the NBA finals has been announced:
Steve Javie, Mike Callahan and Bill Kennedy. Bill Spooner is the alternate.
That’s a solid crew, one that should by reputation be pretty even handed.
It also lacks the name that will turn the stomach of Mavs fans — Bennett Salvatore. He was the guy at the heart of the 2006 NBA finals controversy, when Dallas fans believe Dwayne Wade got to the free throw line every time a Mavericks player got within three feet of him. (He was also the guy being the aggressor and attacking, but we don’t need to go down that road right now.)
Salvatore will work at least one game this finals, bet on it. But not Game 1.
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 3
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 11
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 12
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 9