May 31, 2011, 1:44 PM EDT
Your crew of referees for Game 1 of the NBA finals has been announced:
Steve Javie, Mike Callahan and Bill Kennedy. Bill Spooner is the alternate.
That’s a solid crew, one that should by reputation be pretty even handed.
It also lacks the name that will turn the stomach of Mavs fans — Bennett Salvatore. He was the guy at the heart of the 2006 NBA finals controversy, when Dallas fans believe Dwayne Wade got to the free throw line every time a Mavericks player got within three feet of him. (He was also the guy being the aggressor and attacking, but we don’t need to go down that road right now.)
Salvatore will work at least one game this finals, bet on it. But not Game 1.
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 15
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 25
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 7
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 31
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 3
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 30
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22