May 31, 2011, 1:44 PM EDT
Your crew of referees for Game 1 of the NBA finals has been announced:
Steve Javie, Mike Callahan and Bill Kennedy. Bill Spooner is the alternate.
That’s a solid crew, one that should by reputation be pretty even handed.
It also lacks the name that will turn the stomach of Mavs fans — Bennett Salvatore. He was the guy at the heart of the 2006 NBA finals controversy, when Dallas fans believe Dwayne Wade got to the free throw line every time a Mavericks player got within three feet of him. (He was also the guy being the aggressor and attacking, but we don’t need to go down that road right now.)
Salvatore will work at least one game this finals, bet on it. But not Game 1.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 9
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 39
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31