May 31, 2011, 1:44 PM EST
Your crew of referees for Game 1 of the NBA finals has been announced:
Steve Javie, Mike Callahan and Bill Kennedy. Bill Spooner is the alternate.
That’s a solid crew, one that should by reputation be pretty even handed.
It also lacks the name that will turn the stomach of Mavs fans — Bennett Salvatore. He was the guy at the heart of the 2006 NBA finals controversy, when Dallas fans believe Dwayne Wade got to the free throw line every time a Mavericks player got within three feet of him. (He was also the guy being the aggressor and attacking, but we don’t need to go down that road right now.)
Salvatore will work at least one game this finals, bet on it. But not Game 1.
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 2
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 1
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 16
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)