May 31, 2011, 4:01 PM EDT
LeBron James is a big Ohio State fan, he’s been on the sidelines during Buckeye football games. He knows Jim Tressel.
That would be the Jim Tressel who resigned Monday amid a heap of allegations of cars, memorabilia-for-tattoos and a bunch of other problems that will mean trouble for a program that had been at the top of the college football pecking order for the last year.
So, of course, James was asked about it. Here is what he said, courtesy Matt Moore at CBSSports Eye on Basketball.
“He’s done some great things for that university. It’s unfortunate all the allegations and things that have come out in the past year,” James said. “Everyone in Columbus and Ohio knows how important, how great he was for the team and university….
“I wish him the best, and the organization. Hopefully the university will come back. It’s one of the best universities we have in America.”
Like a lot of Ohio State fans, LeBron could be seeing some rocky times ahead for his football team.
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 0
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 13
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 19
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 9
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 18
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19