May 31, 2011, 4:01 PM EDT
LeBron James is a big Ohio State fan, he’s been on the sidelines during Buckeye football games. He knows Jim Tressel.
That would be the Jim Tressel who resigned Monday amid a heap of allegations of cars, memorabilia-for-tattoos and a bunch of other problems that will mean trouble for a program that had been at the top of the college football pecking order for the last year.
So, of course, James was asked about it. Here is what he said, courtesy Matt Moore at CBSSports Eye on Basketball.
“He’s done some great things for that university. It’s unfortunate all the allegations and things that have come out in the past year,” James said. “Everyone in Columbus and Ohio knows how important, how great he was for the team and university….
“I wish him the best, and the organization. Hopefully the university will come back. It’s one of the best universities we have in America.”
Like a lot of Ohio State fans, LeBron could be seeing some rocky times ahead for his football team.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 10
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 19
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14