May 30, 2011, 8:14 AM EDT
The coming out of Suns CEO Rick Welts as a gay an — and the simple acceptance of that around the league — has led to the next question:
What would happen if an active player came out as gay?
If a player in the locker room came out, it would come and go quickly, too. I really don’t think it’s a big issue anymore. I think it would be surprisingly accepted, and a shorter shelf life than maybe we would imagine. I think the time has come when it should happen soon. I think it will be something that won’t take on this life of its own. It won’t be the O. J. trial.
Reactions would vary player to player, but I would like think Nash is right. What would speed acceptance is the quality of the player — if a good rotation player on a good team comes out, his teammates and most fans would care about the winning and what he brings to court. Not who he sleeps with.
Like Nash said, we may well find out sooner that some think.
- Finally the NBA playoff match ups are set 12
- PBT Extra: Giving out MVP, end of season awards 4
- Report: Sale of Milwaukee Bucks for record $550 million agreed upon, team to stay in Milwaukee 38
- Playoff Chase: Seven meaningful games on final night of NBA season 17
- 2014 PBT Awards: Most Improved Player 23