May 30, 2011, 12:27 PM EDT
Would you hire a man who says “Mamma, there goes that man” as your head coach? A guy who says “give me better offense any day” every game?
The Golden State Warriors are apparently considering it.
Former player and current ESPN/ABC analyst Mark Jackson is a finalist for the Warriors head coaching job, according to Matt Steimmetz at CSN Bay Area. Also on that list are Brian Shaw, Lawrence Frank and Dwane Casey.
Jackson — the former New York Knick, Indiana Pacer and current analyst for ESPN and ABC — is very much being considered for the Golden State job. In fact, Jackson has had two conversations with the Warriors, including one with owner Joe Lacob, according two NBA sources.
That is significant because Lacob was not in on the Warriors’ first set of discussions with candidates. It is unknown whether Shaw, Casey or Frank has met or talked to Lacob up to this point. Jackson has.
Jackson has wanted a job, but he has no coaching experience. It is a big risk to take a guy straight out of the broadcast booth and throw him on the bench as a head coach. Especially with experienced assistant and former head coaches out there. Guys where you have a better idea what your getting based on some track record.
- Tony Parker, Spurs penetration is puzzle Grizzlies can’t solve 1
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 6
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 35
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?