May 30, 2011, 10:16 AM EDT
Remember all the drama about whether Donnie Walsh was going to have the extension on his contract picked up or be let go by the Knicks? Then it turned out he didn’t have the extension picked up because they planned to give him a new deal instead?
Except, he’s been on the job without a contract as the details never got worked out.
Well, it did finally get worked, according to Peter Vecsey with the New York Post.
Because the give and take was not completed until last week, I’m informed. Late changes were made by Walsh and approved by Dolan. Once Camp Cablevision’s required “six signatures” (I don’t think my source was being facetious) are on the dotted line, apparently sometime this week, the deal will be done, if not publicized.
Clearly, the new arrangement will give Walsh the control to finish the Knicks’ renovation the way he sees fit. If there was any uncertainty about that it would have demonstrated Dolan did not want him back. That would have shoved Walsh into retirement.
As we said before, Walsh hasn’t been perfect but he did get the team on solid financial footing while reworking the roster into one that actually made he playoffs. He deserved the chance to continue on the job.
The return of Walsh means Mike D’Antoni is safe as coach for now. Although, predicting anything within the Knicks can be a fool’s errand. Phil Jackson will not return to coach at the Garden, but expect tons of speculation about it if the Knicks struggle or don’t play enough defense.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 33
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 67
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 3
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31