May 30, 2011, 4:37 PM EDT
Dwyane Wade has sounded more like a guy getting ready for the NHL Stanley Cup finals rather than the NBA finals — he refuses to discuss an injury. He’s had a heat pack on his shoulder. He’s had a guy stretching it out during games. His numbers were way down against the Bulls. But ask him about it and he says there is no problem.
That continued on Monday, the day before Game 1, when Wade practiced with his team full out, then told the media at Heat practice that he is just fine (via the Associated Press).
“I’m not hurt,” he said.
Wade will play a key role in this series — the Mavs have traditionally struggled to stop good two guards. DeShawn Stevenson has had some success on him, but to give Stevenson big minutes means to leave Jason Terry and his scoring on the bench or for the Mavs to go very small. Either way, it plays to the Heat’s strengths. Wade could end up having a monster series, just like last time he played the Mavs in the finals.
In addition to Wade, other Heat players who had sat out practices recently were back in the fold — Udonis Haslem, Mike Miller and James Jones. Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said he cut the practice short because it was getting to physical, with guys gearing up for Game 1.
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 0
- Western Conference Finals preview: Grizzlies vs. Spurs 0
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 35
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 23
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 15
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay