May 29, 2011, 4:32 PM EST
ESPN.com’s Ric Bucher reports that Detroit Pistons coach John Kuester will not return as head coach next season:
Detroit head coach John Kuester will not be returning to the Pistons, according to sources. It is presumed that president Joe Dumars and his staff will be returning, but there has been no definitive indication of that yet, sources said.
Interesting note, here, the report does not indicate that Kuester has been fired, just that he won’t return. Tom Gores is set to take ownership of the team on Wednesday, pending a vote by the Board of Governors that will of course pass. Meanwhile, MLive.com reports that no decision has been made regarding Kuester.
With Mike Brown headed to Los Angeles, Kuester would be able to take less to get out of a toxic situation in Detroit that saw his players literally revolt against him, and not the young guys, the veterans. The Pistons were bad, but have good young talent, a value draft pick and a lot of potential. Kuester’s coaching, beyond just ego management, has been poor, as rotations and play sets seemed to defy… what’s the word? Ah, logic.
Kuester may not be out yet, but the storm clouds are definitely gathering. Hope he’s got an umbrella. And that he didn’t bench it unnecessarily.
Update: Throw the Detroit News on the list of folks saying this hasn’t gone down yet.
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 1
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 2
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 8
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 8
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)