May 29, 2011, 4:32 PM EST
ESPN.com’s Ric Bucher reports that Detroit Pistons coach John Kuester will not return as head coach next season:
Detroit head coach John Kuester will not be returning to the Pistons, according to sources. It is presumed that president Joe Dumars and his staff will be returning, but there has been no definitive indication of that yet, sources said.
Interesting note, here, the report does not indicate that Kuester has been fired, just that he won’t return. Tom Gores is set to take ownership of the team on Wednesday, pending a vote by the Board of Governors that will of course pass. Meanwhile, MLive.com reports that no decision has been made regarding Kuester.
With Mike Brown headed to Los Angeles, Kuester would be able to take less to get out of a toxic situation in Detroit that saw his players literally revolt against him, and not the young guys, the veterans. The Pistons were bad, but have good young talent, a value draft pick and a lot of potential. Kuester’s coaching, beyond just ego management, has been poor, as rotations and play sets seemed to defy… what’s the word? Ah, logic.
Kuester may not be out yet, but the storm clouds are definitely gathering. Hope he’s got an umbrella. And that he didn’t bench it unnecessarily.
Update: Throw the Detroit News on the list of folks saying this hasn’t gone down yet.
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 0
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 20
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 22
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16