Not just Nowitzki looking for redemption on Mavericks

May 29, 2011, 8:55 AM EST

Dallas Mavericks v Oklahoma City Thunder - Game Four Getty Images

For a lot of fans, the image of Dirk Nowitzki kicking exercise equipment as he walked back to the locker room after Dwyane Wade, Shaquille O’Neal and the Miami Heat eliminated him and the Mavericks back in 2006 is easy to remember.

For many fans, these 2011 NBA finals are Nowtizki’s chance at redemption.

But the Mavericks are really a team of players looking for redemption.

This is Jason Kidd’s second chance — he went to the finals twice with the Nets, only to run into the Shaq/Kobe Lakers and lose. He is one of the best point guards ever, but he lacks a ring to complete it.

Jason Terry was there next to Nowitzki in 2006 falling short.

Shawn Marion was on a Suns team that was on its way to the finals, maybe more, until Robert Horry’s hip changed it all.

Peja Stojakovic was on a Kings team that that ran into Robert Horry too, with a 3-pointer with the Los Angeles Lakers (those same ones that caused Kidd so much trouble.)

Stojakovic also was on a Hornets team with Tyson Chandler (and Chris Paul) that was going to be the next big thing, until it wasn’t.

This is a veteran Mavericks team, and with that comes a lot of stories of woe. This is a chance for redemption for a lot of guys.

Nowitzki’s legacy should not depend on a ring. Nowitzki is the GEOAT — greatest European of all time. Name a better one? Make an argument for Pau Gasol. He has a couple of rings and is undoubtedly skilled, but he is not a franchise player like Nowtizki. Ask Memphis. What’s your other argument? Detlef Schrempf? Nobody has been as good as long from Europe as Nowitzki.

Kidd should be remembered as an all time great. Terry, Marion, Stojakovic and Chandler have all had great careers. A ring is not the sole measure of success.

But this could be sweet redemption for many Mavericks. Including Nowitzki.

1. zrbk - May 29, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Tony Parker got one … two … and three rings + a Finals MVP. Nonetheless, I think Nowitzki is a much greater player.
    The Mavs was my least favorite team before April, but now I really hope they can win this thing. These old guys deserve a ring.

2. lagranderrota - May 29, 2011 at 10:40 AM

I know that you only watch NBA and, of course, is usually enaugh to say things like “bet european of all time”.

But i have a feeling of sorrow (for you): yo don’t see Drazen Petrovic on his Cibona days or Arvydas Sabonis with Zalgiris.

The version that you know about this two is not of his prime.

I don’t argument against Dirk, but Drazen and Arvydas are there. Without a doubt.

By the way: Kukoc, three rings AND three Euroleague championship (all of them being a mega-star and a teeneger).

• Kurt Helin - May 29, 2011 at 11:51 AM

I have long said that if we had seen Sabonis in the NBA at his prime and not at the very tail end of his career we would say he was the best ever out of Europe. The people who played against him raved. I can’t say he was the best Euro ever in the NBA because of when we saw him. After that, I made a joke about Detlef but Divac and Petrovic or Kukoc are potential contenders to the throne. But from an NBA perspective, it has to be Dirk. Kukoc landed in a much better situation, he didn’t have to be the franchise player.

• lagranderrota - May 29, 2011 at 2:02 PM

I point Toni Kukoc only for his titles. In my point of view there are four top european players all time: Dirk,Pau, Drazen and Arvydas.

Thaks for the reply. I am a big, big fan of the site and this is a great honor for me.

By the way, you say that Ricky Rubio has had a bad year when you talk about him. And, let me tell you for a regular ACB Spanish League viewer: he has been terrible awful. Atrocius. Below ACB starting PGs average. And his team, the best in Europe, lost in Euroleague’s Quaterfinals because Olimpiakos didn’t guard him at all and let him shoot on every posession. Just in case… ;)

3. themanchine - May 29, 2011 at 10:48 AM

I used to be a Knicks fan until July 8, 2010. Now my favorite team is whoever the Heat are playing, then the Knicks. GO MAVS!

• pff - May 29, 2011 at 8:20 PM

“Now my favorite team is whoever the Heat are playing”

—-

that’s lame…why? hate much?

4. dgforreal - Jun 3, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Would love to see JKidd get some hardware.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches