May 29, 2011, 8:55 AM EDT
For a lot of fans, the image of Dirk Nowitzki kicking exercise equipment as he walked back to the locker room after Dwyane Wade, Shaquille O’Neal and the Miami Heat eliminated him and the Mavericks back in 2006 is easy to remember.
For many fans, these 2011 NBA finals are Nowtizki’s chance at redemption.
But the Mavericks are really a team of players looking for redemption.
This is Jason Kidd’s second chance — he went to the finals twice with the Nets, only to run into the Shaq/Kobe Lakers and lose. He is one of the best point guards ever, but he lacks a ring to complete it.
Jason Terry was there next to Nowitzki in 2006 falling short.
Shawn Marion was on a Suns team that was on its way to the finals, maybe more, until Robert Horry’s hip changed it all.
Peja Stojakovic was on a Kings team that that ran into Robert Horry too, with a 3-pointer with the Los Angeles Lakers (those same ones that caused Kidd so much trouble.)
This is a veteran Mavericks team, and with that comes a lot of stories of woe. This is a chance for redemption for a lot of guys.
Nowitzki’s legacy should not depend on a ring. Nowitzki is the GEOAT — greatest European of all time. Name a better one? Make an argument for Pau Gasol. He has a couple of rings and is undoubtedly skilled, but he is not a franchise player like Nowtizki. Ask Memphis. What’s your other argument? Detlef Schrempf? Nobody has been as good as long from Europe as Nowitzki.
Kidd should be remembered as an all time great. Terry, Marion, Stojakovic and Chandler have all had great careers. A ring is not the sole measure of success.
But this could be sweet redemption for many Mavericks. Including Nowitzki.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 0
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 13
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 22
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2