Kevin Durant looks to bulk up for next season

May 29, 2011, 11:33 PM EDT

kevin-durant-game-2

Kevin Durant is the NBA’s leading scorer two years running, but the playoffs have shown there are some things he could work on.

For one, he told the Boston Globe, he wants to add a little muscle.

“I could get stronger and go from there,’’ he said. “I realize I’m not going to be 250 and cut up, but I could get stronger. I have a lot to work on, and it might sound crazy, but I’m ready to get to work now.’’

A quick look at Durant tells you this is a good idea, but it’s just a start. Durant showed in the playoffs that he needs to be more consistent at working hard off the ball to get open. How he came off screens, the energy used off the ball all needs to improve. He was too easily taken out of the game — it was not all Russell Westbrook, it was a combination.

Durant is improving, as are the Thunder. Far too early to sell them short about where they will be in a year or two — particularly because of how hard Durant and the team work in the offseason.

1. dgbk - May 30, 2011 at 2:03 AM

Guess he got tired of looking like the worlds tallest 11 yr old

2. bittersonicsfan - May 30, 2011 at 5:43 AM

Beefcake!

3. purdueman - May 30, 2011 at 7:06 AM

I heard that Bartolo Colon called him and gave him his secret as to how to bulk up during the offseason…. it’s called the Mc Donald’s Big Mac DIet. All Kevin has to do is pound down a couple of super sized Big Mac combo meals two or three times a day and then find a good tailor to let out his pants!

4. 1historian - May 30, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Next year the Thunder will come out of the west – this year was a learning year. If Dallas doesn’t win it this year they never will.

Go Mavs, beat the heat.

please

5. passerby23 - May 30, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Adding about 10 lbs of muscle is probably the best thing Durant could do. I find that he gets pushed off his spots too much and sometimes ends up getting the ball way out near centre court. With a little more bulk, he would be a more dominant post player as opposed to getting most of his offense from perimeter jump shots. Already the leading scorer in the league, I think he would be even more efficient. I think the extra strength would add another dimension to his game.

6. sdmfla - May 30, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Its just so funny that people wait until he fails too start bringing this up. If he was dedicated to this he would be able to gain weight. When your profession is a sport you have all the time and resources to get your body to where it performs at its peak. Clearly he was NOT dedicated and just thought his shot making is too good.

7. stoutfiles - May 30, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Any team would love to have a non-selfish, hard-working player like Durant on their team.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches