May 28, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
Scottie Pippen was on fire Friday.
Not in a “that man speaks the truth” way so much as a “he’s going to get a lot of ink” way.
After lighting a fire with his Jordan/LeBron comments, Pippen spoke with ESPNChicago late on Friday and called out Carlos Boozer for his play for the Bulls in the playoffs, saying he was a key reason the Bulls did not advance.
“You can’t hide at this stage of the season. At this point, you have to be able to play through everything because if you’re trying to hide a guy or a guy is not performing for you, it’s going to show offensively in the playoffs and it’s going to be magnified … We all know Carlos did not play at the level the team needed him to and that that hurt them more than anything because they couldn’t rely on him.
“The flagrant foul, the pushing calls, the inability to finish strong around the basket. Now you’re a liability. We can’t hide you and now we have to take you out of the game.”
The flagrant foul in question was a swipe to LeBron James’ face late in the third quarter of Game 5. The Bulls had been up 11 but the Heat quickly cut it to 5. Of course, the Bulls got that back up to double digits late in the fourth quarter before falling apart. Pippen also took swipes at Joakim Noah for not stepping up in the playoffs. Notice that both of those guys were on the bench when Chicago needed a game-tying shot late in Game 5.
Pippen is right, Carlos Boozer did not step up with bigger and better games in the playoffs. Jazz fans would have told you to expect that. But Boozer also is not guy who can create his own shots, he needs to be paired with guys like that. The Bulls have one of the best in Derrick Rose but until they get a second guy who can create on the perimeter the Bulls will be vulnerable in the playoffs.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 5
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 21
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 26
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 29
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 39
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 29