May 28, 2011, 10:04 PM EDT
Scottie Pippen took plenty of heat for having the temerity to put anybody on Michael Jordan’s perch.
Especially somebody half the country hates.
It stuck his as a bit early to say a mid-career LeBron should be on that level. And LeBron feels the same way, he told Marc Spears at Yahoo, although he dances around saying Jordan is better.
“I got a long way, long way to be mentioned as one of the all-time greats. Not even just Jordan – there are a lot of great players who have played in this league: Larry Bird, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and all these guys that are floating around with multiple rings. Bill Russell. All of these guys who have pioneered the game for myself and [Dwyane Wade].
“I’m gracious, humbled by Scottie’s comments with him being a teammate of his and seeing Michael on a day-to-day basis. But as far as me? I don’t know. I’m not going to sit here and say I’m better than Jordan or if I’m not better than Jordan. It’s not about that.”
Maybe someday we can have that conversation. Not yet. And LeBron is going to have to flash some rings to get into the club first, let alone be invited over to Jordan’s table.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 30
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 45
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4