Skip to content

LeBron James is your Finals MVP favorite. Shocker.

May 28, 2011, 7:00 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Chicago Bulls - Game Five Getty Images

The odds are out on the Finals, courtesy of, and they’re pretty much what you’d expect. The Heat are a slight favorite, and LeBron James is the favorite to win Finals MVP at 5-to-4 odds, just nudging Dirk Nowitzki at 2-to-1. The over/under on techs is 5.5, which is a really interesting bet, but here’s another one that I found particularly intriguing.

The over/under for LeBron James’ average points in this series is 26.5, with his rebounding average over/under 7.5 and his assists average 6.5.

Those are some pretty ridiculous numbers for the Finals. But get this, since 2006, James has performed at that exact level or better in the playoffs (not averaged, performed at) over three games twice and over two games twice. He’s the only player in the last five years to do so in the playoffs. James has averaged those numbers twice before, and, naturally, is averaging them in these playoffs.

Would you bet on James?

Bigger question, maybe, is would you bet against Dirk?

  1. virusgvr - May 28, 2011 at 8:30 PM

    I wouldn’t bet on this at all. If I did it wouldnt matter who I would pick to win, cause it would be the other person.

  2. drmonkeyarmy - May 28, 2011 at 10:15 PM

    Dirk is a good bet at 2-1. I think the series is pretty much a toss up and chances are if the Mavs win Dirk will be MVP. So essentially you are getting 2-1 odds on what should be an even money bet. The Lebron bet is a suckier bet. He might when MVP but at essentially even money it isn’t worth betting. In my opinion, if the Heat when there is a 75% chance he will be MVP, 25% chance of Wade being MVP. So, you are betting at even money when it should be around 2-1.

  3. zrbk - May 28, 2011 at 11:32 PM

    In 2008, Kobe got the Season MVP but the Lakers lost the Final. He passed the MVP to Lebron in 2009, and we all know what happened. See any patterns?

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!

Top 10 NBA Player Searches
  1. D. Rose (2740)
  2. K. Irving (2104)
  3. A. Davis (1798)
  4. K. Bryant (1593)
  5. L. James (1572)
  1. T. Thompson (1295)
  2. K. Durant (1275)
  3. B. Jennings (1199)
  4. J. Clarkson (1143)
  5. G. Davis (1048)