May 28, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
The NBA Finals aren’t going to feature the classic Lakers-Celtics rivalry that truly tested heated rivals like Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett who are actually friends and both live in L.A. during the summer, but whatever, the rivalry is like, totally mean and stuff. But there are a few storylines which will keep the columnists churning out the bulletin board chum for the sharks on both sides.
One such angle is the feud between DeShawn Stevenson and LeBron James, if you consider a feud in which one player totally and utterly dominates the other in any significant category outside of the number of neck tattoos available. Stevenson and James had a nasty little back and forth when the Wizards were still making the playoffs back in the
Stone Age mid-to-late-00’s. The feud actually featured Jay-Z and Soulja Boy (!). There was a lot to love about this miniature feud, maybe nothing more than Stevenson dropping the “I can’t feel my face motion” in Game 3 of a 2008 series where the Wizards were destroyed by James.
But that was a long time ago, and DeShawn Stevenson is a little bit older, a little bit colder, a little bit wiser. Or at least he’s not pushing the feud with James again. From Mavericks.com writer Bryan Gutierrez:
“I don’t think he forgot, but it’s still there. It’s was with my old team. I think it’s pretty much over.”
So it would appear that we won’t be able to enjoy any more antics. Unless Stevenson and James get into a tussle which they are almost guaranteed to do. Additionally, this marks the possibility of an NBA Finals brawl between two players on the list of top fifteen most ridiculous tattoos, with Stevenson’s Honest Abe up against someone who literally spat the words “Chosen One” in ink on their back. This should be fun, regardless of what Stevenson says.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 8
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29